Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I've got a Macbook Pro and the CS3 Web Premium upgrade sitting in my cart at Amazon.

I'm a web designer and instructional designer. I have a future use for Flash (elearning, advertisements), but currently I'd probably only use Fireworks and Dreamweaver mainly. However, I hardly ever use WYSIWYG. I use Coda and CSSEdit mainly.

I do love Fireworks and Flash, and for the extra $100, getting Photoshop, Illustator and Acrobat is a nice bonus, plus, of course, Dreamweaver.

Wondering what your evals are on CS3 and if it's worth the $500 upgrade price. It's pretty much all or nothing for me, Adobe's single product pricing is ridiculous.

Cheers!

Anyone? Need to place my order this morning!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I do love Fireworks and Flash, and for the extra $100, getting Photoshop, Illustator and Acrobat is a nice bonus, plus, of course, Dreamweaver.
I have pretty much no experience in any of this...

Just wanted to say that I'm a sucker for "saving" by buying bundles and whatnot and you're right; if the $ break down means that an additional $100 gets you those "extra" apps, I definitely think it's worth it. Especially if (I'm assuming you'd be running these on the iMac G5 in your sig) you wind up getting an Intel Mac, CS3 is widely touted as being quite the speedy on the newer Macs so in purchasing CS, I think it's wise to consider the possible future uses of said software, no? :eek:

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Well, to tell the truth would you use ANY of those programs? If yes or maybe yes, then you might want to buy them. You could also buy the pckage and then sell the Photoshop and other programs which you dont use for sa half the price (if that is legal).

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I bought it. Functionality wise, I'm impressed. Performance-wise, I'm not. Especially with Dreamweaver, where I spend the vast majority of my working day.

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
I went for Web Premium. I switched from PC to Mac last year and had been fumbling with my old copy of Photoshop 7 on Parallels, which wasn't too practical.

I decided I needed to go for Photoshop and Flash, and once I'd decided on those it became economic sense to get web premium instead - particularly because I do also use Illustrator, Fireworks, Acrobat and even Dreamweaver (I'm normally a TextEdit/BBEdit person!) occasionally. I've actually ended up using Fireworks far more than I expected, which has been a bonus. It's an expensive package, but I live in it when I'm working, so it's worth its weight in gold really.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
i went for design standard(photoshop, illistrator, indesign) + flex builder + taco. This combo is much better in my opinion for web and design work. I see no use for fireworks when im more comfortable with photoshop and flex is much better for the stuff i make than flash.
Like my Coverflow effect on my site i made the same thing in flash and was looking at 120% CPU loads and some of my testers with iMac G3 400 and a Pentium 3 1.2GHz could not use the flash version because it was so slow. The flex version on the other hand had no noticeable CPU load on any system and was a pleasure to use even on the older computers.

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
I see no use for fireworks when im more comfortable with photoshop

That's how I felt before I actually used it (I'd actually first used it many years ago when it originally came out, but it's a completely different tool today), and I was surprised at how effective it was. It's not a replacement for Photoshop, rather it complements it. It's more like a far more useful version of ImageReady.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Like my Coverflow effect on my site i made the same thing in flash and was looking at 120% CPU loads and some of my testers with iMac G3 400 and a Pentium 3 1.2GHz could not use the flash version because it was so slow. The flex version on the other hand had no noticeable CPU load on any system and was a pleasure to use even on the older computers.
errrr... flex is flash.

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Not to be rude, but why is everyone so ashamed to say that they use Dreamweaver? I always see someone say "...but I use Coda/BBedit/whatever other coding software there is just in order to say that you don't actually use a WYSIWYG editor."

It's like being a photographer and being ashamed to say that you use Photoshop or something. It's a tool. If you're good at what you do, that's all that matters. But no need to be ashamed of software. I mean, if you were REALLY hardcore, you wouldn't even be making the website, you'd have someone else making it for you while you're in the Bahamas or something.

Just my opinion.

:apple:

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
Not to be rude, but why is everyone so ashamed to say that they use Dreamweaver? I always see someone say "...but I use Coda/BBedit/whatever other coding software there is just in order to say that you don't actually use a WYSIWYG editor."

Oh please, don't try to create an agenda where there wasn't one intended. I assume you're referring to my comments, but I mentioned that I prefer to use TextMate/BBEdit over Dreamweaver simply because we're discussing favoured web development software, and I mentioned my favourites as I find the code editing features superior for (X)HTML, PHP and Ruby, not for any imagined elitism as is inferred.

When I need to code ASP I prefer Dreamweaver because I find it has better support for this language. I didn't make any mention of WYSIWYG editing, so please don't put words into my mouth. Dreamweaver is an excellent piece of software, but I just happen to prefer a couple of others for most of my requirements.

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Oh please, don't try to create an agenda where there wasn't one intended. I assume you're referring to my comments, but I mentioned that I prefer to use TextMate/BBEdit over Dreamweaver simply because we're discussing favoured web development software, and I mentioned my favourites as I find the code editing features superior for (X)HTML, PHP and Ruby, not for any imagined elitism as is inferred.

When I need to code ASP I prefer Dreamweaver because I find it has better support for this language. I didn't make any mention of WYSIWYG editing, so please don't put words into my mouth. Dreamweaver is an excellent piece of software, but I just happen to prefer a couple of others for most of my requirements.

Hahaha, don't get butt-hurt. I wasn't talking about you, I'm talking about everyone that's scared of DW for some reason. Maybe to use WYSIWYG isn't elite enough. Funny that you posted so fast, but I'm not really talking about you, but if the shoe fits...

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
Hahaha, don't get butt-hurt. I wasn't talking about you, I'm talking about everyone that's scared of DW for some reason. Maybe to use WYSIWYG isn't elite enough. Funny that you posted so fast, but I'm not really talking about you, but if the shoe fits...

Sorry, but I don't understand "butt-hurt", and I've never heard of anyone being "scared" of DW. :confused:

I think you're trolling, as you've added nothing of value to this conversation, so I'm going to leave this now...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Sorry, but I don't understand "butt-hurt", and I've never heard of anyone being "scared" of DW. :confused:

I think you're trolling, as you've added nothing of value to this conversation, so I'm going to leave this now...

Dude, he posted a valid comment. I've noticed that Dreamweaver seems to be shunned by "hardcore" web designers, and while I use Smultron instead right now, that's mostly because my Dreamweaver trial expired and I can't afford to purchase it at the moment. Dreamweaver, like he said, is a valid tool, and while you may appreciate it as such, many people don't seem to. There's no reason to snap at him over such an observation.

jW

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
I'm not meaning to snap at anyone, I just didn't follow the course of the thread from discussing Adobe Web Premium through to suggesting people were ashamed of using Dreamweaver, and I was defending my opinion. It seemed to me that the comments were directed at my post, so I naturally followed up. Sorry if I've misread things and if I've upset anybody - that wasn't my intention. I don't see any evidence on this thread of people belittling Dreamweaver, which is why I didn't understand the context of that post - perhaps there's some history to this topic that I'm not aware of, in which case I apologise.

I've spent the best part of my career inside Dreamweaver, so I can hardly be accused of looking down on it, but I think that there's better apps out there now which I prefer to use. TextMate in particular was sold to me on these very forums, and it's increased my productivity considerably. That's why I'm a fan of that particular tool now, but I still dip into Dreamweaver if I need to update a legacy ASP site, because the ASP syntax handling is second to none IMHO.

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
Relax people, I didn't intend this thread to be a Web Designer Dreamweaver War...we've had plenty of those before...don't need one here.

I use Dreamweaver, and have before, for full blown designs. There, I said it! Now, as I've learned my languages, I've tended to spend more time in code view or, now, in Coda/CSSEdit. However, I agree that DW is still a valid tool for what it's good at.

I love Fireworks. I've used Photoshop, but just never had enough time to spend in it (or the resources to purchase it) before. Fireworks does about 95% of what my typical workflow needs from a graphics editor.

But to get both with Web Premium would be sweet. Just wondering how many of you are thinking you got a good value at the $500 upgrade price.

So let's get back on topic, please!

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.