CS4 on a G4

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jerovo61, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jerovo61 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a technical question about up grading to CS4 Design Premium. I have a Power Mac G4 with a Power PC G4 Processor, 867 MHz of processor speed, 2 CPUs and 1.75 GB of RAM will the CS4 design package run on this machine?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/

3. jerovo61 thread starter macrumors newbie

CS4 on a G4

Yes, thanks, I had to get some alternate opinions because my company is on my butt to up-grade. :mad:

Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate your time. :)

Jeff

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Nonsense.

I have it running on a MDD Dual 1.25.

Runs fine.

You would be better served on a Mac Pro, but you knew that.

Get a flashed Nvidia 6800 or 7800 video card and it will help....CS4 leverages them to accelerate operations.

5. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

I've got Photoshop, Flash, and Illustrator CS4 running on my TiBook (1Ghz G4, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9000 Mobility, OS X 10.4.11). No you can't run Photoshop with 250 layers adding filters at whim, but yes it does run.

If you are used to the speed hit you take from running on an older processor, and keep your design decisions with those limitations in mind, you'll be ok.

I've done quite a number of Photoshop projects for my graduate coursework on this machine and intend to keep doing so in the foreseeable future. Good luck!

6. miguel mouse! macrumors newbie

I'm running CS4 on my 12" 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 with 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM. I just couldn't install After Effects as it requires a minimum of 2 GB DDR SDRAM.

You gotta make with what you have ;)

7. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I never understand people, why they wan't to run modern software on 5 or more years old hardware. It is the same situation as i would like to Windows Vista on a Pentium III with 256 MB RAM.

On a G4, Photoshop 6 (under Mac OS 9.x) and 7 (maybe 8) will run fantastic. You can do (almost) everything in Photoshop 7 as you can do in Photoshop 11 (CS4). Of course, only if you know how to use the application and also the techniques.