CS4 on G5 PowerMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TommyMacBrown, May 23, 2009.

1. TommyMacBrown macrumors newbie

I did a quick search-no luck.

Are there issues with installing and running CS4 on a G5 PowerMac?
    Is it supported? Don't want to buy if it won't work. CS3 works good.

Thanks

2. TommyMacBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks No4mk2 . Will have to beef up the RAM, but I guess Tiger will handle ok.

3. Toronto Mike macrumors regular

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago wondering if CS4 would do well on my dual 2.0 G5. I downloaded the trial version of Photoshop to settle the matter and was quite pleased that there was no performance hit. In fact I would say that it feels a little more responsive. I am on Tiger, and have 6GB of Ram, and the ATI xt 800 (256mg) card.

I haven't tried the other applications of the CS4 suite. I will say that Bridge CS4 is very dissappointing for what I use it for. All I want is a simple viewer and file sorter. This is a dog on my machine - which might be a case of it being older, but still - Bridge CS4 is much slower slower to open folders of images, and the one feature that I find essential has been dropped. In Bridge CS2 you could click/drag files over to any other folder on the left column and drop them in. Sweet - a real time saver. Bridge CS4 will not allow this - unless I am missing something I forgot to set in preferences. For me, Bridge CS4 is unusable and I will continue to use Bridge CS2.

For my initial, and modest uses, I'd say that CS4 is a winner. It has many features that I want to use, and so far I am not noticing any drop in performance. At least give the trial versions a try before you decide.

Mike

4. No4mk2 macrumors member

No4mk2

Toronto in Spring

Hi Mike,

I have a Bridge CS3 and a Bridge CS4. I think Bridge CS3 came with Photoshop Elements 6. I don't seem to have the need to use either, makes me wonder what I'm missing. But I remember them both as being kind of bloated and overwrought.
    Ever use Graphic Converter? I've had it through many incarnations and I think for what you want to do it may be ideal. A PPC version only I think is still available. It's a good app to have in ones tool kit. Opens files other programs do not. http://www.lemkesoft.com/

Toronto Mike, I believe we've met before... Sam from AD here. :)

5. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

1.8GHz G5, 4GB RAM, 7800GS w/256vram
    CS4 es muoy bueno.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

CS-4 will gain GPU acceleration and run better on a G5 if you use one of the following video cards:

1. 6600GT AGP
    2. 6800 GT/Ultra AGP
    3. 7800GS AGP
    4. 6600 PCIE
    5. 7800GT PCIE
    6. 7800GTX PCIE

Note that these are all Nvidia cards. The X1900GT for PCIE may also offer this support, I am not sure.

The Radeon 9800 & X800/850 do not support these features.