CS5 Illustrator (-108) error!!!!

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jonG, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jonG macrumors member

WOnt even open.....Crashes every time on startup, just recently too. I used it for about 1 month with no issues then after a software update It stopped(I think)...very frustrating as I use it every day for work....any help, thanks.

2. flrazor macrumors member

flrazor

-108 is typically a memory (RAM) error, but happens for a lot of reasons completely unrelated to memory issues. Two possible suggestions based on things I've seen cause this error and could be caused by an update:

-Try trashing the preferences files for Illustrator in HD > Users > (your home folder) > Library > Preferences > Adobe Illustrator (version) Settings, and then relaunching Illustrator. Prefs files can cause conflicts if not updated correctly, but get rebuilt if missing (just have to redo your specific preferences you had set up).

-Corrupt fonts or bad font caches can also cause this issue. Utilities like FontNuke can get rid of the cache files which are all rebuilt as needed by the system and applications. Since this error came up after an update I'm not leaning towards a corrupt font unless you also just installed some new fonts too, but the cache files can cause trouble even when you haven't been updating.

Highly recommend a cache cleansing with FontNuke either way. I've fixed a few different systems with similar trouble in Illustrator, InDesign, and Quark with this and never had it cause any problems.