Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Over the years I have struggled to get the degree of image sharpening from PS2 or PS3 that I get from - of all things - iPhoto. I downloaded the PS5 trial and none of the sharpening filters work for me - I've tried them all. It is almost as if there is an "Apply" button that I am failing to see.

In iPhoto it takes all of 30 seconds to manipulate the sharpness and definition sliders and I get the images I am looking for.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong - surely the lowly iPhoto can't be better than PS for sharpening :confused:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I no longer use iPhoto (nothing wrong with it, just needed to simplify my workflow when I got Lightroom).... but I can tell you that the sharpening function for Lightroom 3 is astounding. Took me a few minutes with a bad image (scanned from an underexposed negative) to clear the noise, sharpen, and fix the colour problems (It was a very difficult shot).

You can download a trial of Lightroom 3 from Adobe, fully functioning for 30 days. Based on the noise reduction and sharpening improvements over LR2 I will absolutely be upgrading. I use LR now instead of iPhoto, though I will sometimes move some images into iPhoto just to get some of the card/book/calendar printing features found there. But all of my image management is now done in LR. You should at least try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.