Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
So, kind of an interesting issue which I am not sure anybody has really encountered yet (unless it's on a different version set like CS5/CS4).

I have CS5 installed on one of my computers - I am planning on installing on my 2nd computer, which I can do legally according to Adobe, as long as I am not using the computers simultaneously. Now, if I install it on my 2nd computer, and then upgrade to CS6, could I:

- upgrade my 2nd computer's copy to CS6 (I have the DVD for CS5)
- if I didn't, could they be run simultaneously?

Probably a better question for the adobe.com forums, but people here seem quite knowledgeable!

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
So, kind of an interesting issue which I am not sure anybody has really encountered yet (unless it's on a different version set like CS5/CS4).

I have CS5 installed on one of my computers - I am planning on installing on my 2nd computer, which I can do legally according to Adobe, as long as I am not using the computers simultaneously. Now, if I install it on my 2nd computer, and then upgrade to CS6, could I:

- upgrade my 2nd computer's copy to CS6 (I have the DVD for CS5)
- if I didn't, could they be run simultaneously?

Probably a better question for the adobe.com forums, but people here seem quite knowledgeable!

The "running simultaneously" bit, does that fall under the honor system/technical legalese, or is there actually some online mechanism where it checks to see if two copies are using it simultaneously? (and if so, what if you run one instance on a computer that is not connected to the internet? how does it know you are running 2 at the same time?)

I would suspect that you can upgrade all your installations to CS6, because the licensing for number of installs probably does not change between versions, but likely that you are never allowed to run any versions simultaneously, whether CS5 or CS6 or mixed, because your license only allows for one copy to run at a time.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
When you use a copy to upgrade, you are no longer entitled to use the copy you upgraded from for any other purpose. CAN you use it? Yes. But you will be out of compliance. What is stoping someone from buying one copy of CS4 master collection, then buying the CS5 master collection and selling off the the CS4 to cover the cost of CS5 upgrade? You must retain and not use the upgraded-from licenses as the license is considered a single entity.

Once I've upgraded, can I use, sell, or transfer the previous versions of the software?
No. Purchasing an upgrade to your product extends your existing license to cover the new version of Adobe software. It does not provide you with two separate licenses for the old version and the new version. For example, if you upgrade from Adobe Acrobat 6 to Acrobat 7, you cannot sell Acrobat 6 to someone else.

If you purchase a new license, rather than upgrade your old software, you are permitted to transfer your old license. That is, as long as you did not purchase the original license with a volume licensing arrangement.

As far as the two per machine rule, there are no runtime checks (IIRC) that work on the network layer to make sure you aren't over licensed on your installations. The activations serve that purpose. You only get two (plus one or two incase you have any trouble), after that you'll have to call adobe and explain why you need them to reset the count. If you can manage to install in 2, 3, or 4 macs using the same retail key then they won't bat an eye, after activation. Obviously > 3 is breaking the rules but it's doable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.