Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tradman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Galway, Ireland
Hi all,
I am ordering a macbook air this week to compliment a new Imac down the road. Really need the portability of the air vs a Macbook pro as I carry a lot of camera gear around when I travel.
With that in mind, are any of you using CS6 or LR4 on the new macbook airs?
If so, how do they cope. I'm wondering will the i7 make a big difference with these two programs?
Thanks in advance

tradman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Galway, Ireland
I would suggest the BTO 13" w/ 8 GB RAM.

Cheers Dornblaser,
I should have stated that I had the 8gb/256gb/13 inch in mind alright. My initial concern is how well the air handles lr4/cs6 currently. Should I go for i7 for these Programs or is i5 enough for Photoshop.
I'm gearing towards the i7 but I was specifically interested if any photographers had a similar set up and could speak from their expierence. I'm not looking to turn this into another i5/i7 debate but I have not seen many comments in the air fourms about users with cs6/ls4 expierences on their airs.
Thanks again

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
My experience is quite dissimilar, but perhaps useful anyway. My laptop is a maxed out 2008 MBP and that means while it has a nice dedicated graphics card, RAM is only 4GB. I got an SSD in that laptop and to be honest, I don't seem to have any problems running Photoshop CS6 on it. I think having SSD available as a scratch disk eliminates the pain that would come from running out of RAM. As for the processor, my guess would be that with the dinky video card that comes with Air, giving it more power will provide a noticeable benefit, assuming it does not overstretch your wallet.

tradman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Galway, Ireland
Cheers themumu.
I too have a late 2008 MBP. It was the new model back then. It is on its last legs at the moment so I need a new computer. Had considered getting another MBP but I travel a bit and with a D3s and a D800 and a load of lenses, the idea of another MBP isn't too appealing.
I think I'm going to go for an i7 MBA and then get an imac when they are announced tomorrow/october. The imac will do all the heavy work and the air will be enough for on the road.
Thanks again

My experience is quite dissimilar, but perhaps useful anyway. My laptop is a maxed out 2008 MBP and that means while it has a nice dedicated graphics card, RAM is only 4GB. I got an SSD in that laptop and to be honest, I don't seem to have any problems running Photoshop CS6 on it. I think having SSD available as a scratch disk eliminates the pain that would come from running out of RAM. As for the processor, my guess would be that with the dinky video card that comes with Air, giving it more power will provide a noticeable benefit, assuming it does not overstretch your wallet.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I know that this is not a direct reply but I have used a MBA 4 GB 13" with CS5 and Aperture. I also use an iMac and an iPad. The MBA worked "ok" with the flash being the scratch drive. It was certainly functional. I now have the CS 6 but I have passed on the underwhelming MBA after I auditioned the rMBP. If the 13" form factor works best for you, I would suggest holding out until the rumored 13" rMBP is released this fall. The MBA is very popular but it is not, IMHO, a tool for creative content folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.