CS6 Retina Support - When's it coming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamesesesesess, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times before but do we have any news on when Adobe CS6 (mainly Photoshop) will be getting the Retina update? In the keynote, they said that Adobe is working on it, and I definitely thought it would be out by now :confused: it can't take them that long.

Using Photoshop has been a pain in the ass. Everything looks fuzzy, zooming to 50% is a nightmare, and I want to start working on some website themes that have Retina support, but it's kind of hard to design them when Photoshop doesn't even support Retina. I'm just going to start using SwitchResX for 2880x1800 when using Photoshop, but that's hardly a solution because everything is smaller then.

2. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I imagine it will actually take a decent amount of work and testing, especially for the whole suite. As it stands the rMBP is the only retina machine out there and while we want to see a UI update Adobe probably has other priorities ahead of retina UI for CS6, as rMBP users represent a tiny niche fraction of their user base at the moment. The rMBP is one out of thousands of computers CS6 can run on so they aren't going to drop everything just for it.

3. Cypther macrumors member

I'm waiting for this as well, Adobe photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 are the most used apps on my macbook pro. Onces this is updated I'll be getting a rMBP, there's a saying "software sells hardware".

4. mjn298 macrumors regular

i'm wondering if it somehow ties into these resolutions becoming very widespread in 27"+ displays (as that's where the pro-level work often gets done i would imagine)

but the issue here is not running it at native resolution but running it in the scaled resolution?

i still don't have a damn 64 bit version of logic so i've got all this ram that it can't use

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The issue is that that resolution on a 27"+ display makes the default Photoshop UI plenty large and usable. Such a high res on a smaller 15" display either makes the UI tiny and hard to use, or it has to be blown up to double the size to be usable, which makes it pixelated.

So the issue is pixel density, not the total width and height resolution.

6. mjn298 macrumors regular

ya ok that's what i was thinking

hopefully they figure something out

would it be essentially the same to double the pixel density of their own interface and avoid having to scale? or is that the same thing as scaling?

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Knowing how long it took Adobe to do 64 bit for Mac... I'd say CS8 at the earliest :|

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

all adobe has said is "later this year". and thats only for photoshop. i'd love for the rest of the lineup to catch up but i won't hold my breath.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They've already "figured it out" based on the CS6 demo at WWDC. Scale the UI elements, don't scale the content. The APIs make it fairly simple to do.

But Adobe wants to take its time. And they're not telling us when we can expect an update. I really hope it's before CS7.

10. mjn298 macrumors regular

have they said anything about audition or is their retina focus on their photo/video software

----------

sorry i didn't mean for that horrible pun

11. stevelam macrumors 65816

They said nothing about audition. And frankly ever since they bought out cool edit pro they've been making audition worse and worse. It's probably the least of their priorities.

12. thekev, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They take a lot of unnecessary flack for this from people who really don't have a clue. They didn't really have a choice there. Apple made their prior roadmap impossible. According to Adobe Xcode lacked the maturity to efficiently port applications of that size at its inception, and even around CS4 this was difficult. Their prior roadmap was 64 bit carbon to 64 bit cocoa rather than 32 bit cocoa to 64 bit cocoa.

I should mention Adobe does plenty of really annoying things. This wasn't one of them. They pretty much did their best there, and they were ahead of a lot of Apple's comparable applications.

13. LeakedDave macrumors regular

It's already here.

1. Right-click Adobe Photoshop CS6.app -> Go into contents folder -> open info.plist in your favorite editor.

2. Add this to the bottom (right before </dict>):

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
    <true/>

3. Make a copy the .app, delete the original .app

4. Right click the copied .app and hit "get info" and you will see it isn't force checked to "Open in Low Resolution" anymore.

5. Run it and smile.

14. devman macrumors 65816

devman

agreed. For something like Dreamweaver, it will be CS7 at the earliest and maybe even CS8. That's my guess.

I hope I am wrong though.

15. stevelam macrumors 65816

Um this didnt work a month ago and still doesn't now. You end up breaking the viewport. Do you even have cs6?

16. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Kind of a problem here, while the text is clear, none of the tools on the left are clickable for me. Can you help? :)

17. stevelam macrumors 65816

no. clearly the person has never even actually tried it before or he'd know it doesn't work.

18. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, doesn't work at all for me. The image I'm opening looks distorted and I also get a mess of other screens in the background, lol. Thanks though :(

19. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Ah, I see. Thanks ;)

20. wmarkusen macrumors newbie

Well, it seems it is only part way here, and far - very far from ready for "prime time". Some aspects of high-resolution appear, but clearly there is much work yet to be done. The only high-resolution characteristics I see is in the menu text. All icons are still low-res, as well as working documents still appear in low-res.

Making this change on the current version of CS6 does indeed break the viewport, as well as other functionalities.

I know it isn't Adobe's style, but some sort of hint, or heads up as to when we should expect this support would sure be nice.

21. SalsaShark macrumors member

Also tried this in Lightroom 4. It still renders images in low resolution.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They obviously need to rescale the ui elements independently of the work area. I'm not sure how much work this requires. Ideally they will implement it properly so that most of the complaints taper off once a solution becomes available.

23. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They didn't say anything about anything other than photoshop. And that was only because Apple showed off a retina-capable version of Photoshop at WWDC.

24. Emil889 macrumors newbie

I asked Adobe's online support abot this and this is the answer i got..

Loveneesh: I am sorry I am from Download and Installation Support Team, and we do not have any confirmation regarding your query.
    Loveneesh: In this case I suggest you to check for the Adobe web site for more on daily basis.

Loveneesh: I am sorry I do no have much information, please check the Adobe web site.

Loveneesh: I am sorry I could not help you much on this today.

:rolleyes: