Cse on MBP warped or something ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hayesburrow, Sep 5, 2009.

1. hayesburrow macrumors newbie

so i recently got a Penryn 15.4" MBP and i noticed there is a slight gap between the screen and the body of the computer. it fits relatively flush on the back end or towards the hinge but as you move towards the latch location the gap grows. is this normal ? Also the screen casign is starting to overlap the plastic shurroud ??? any ideas ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jpma macrumors 6502

Got that before,
    applecare repaired that for me.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The "old" MBPs have mechanical latches which will make the screen a bit "loose" when closed.
    My MBP looks exactly like yours. The plastic around the casing has a few small gaps on mine too, it's because aluminum is a really soft metal and two years in my backpack have made things a bit less tight than it was

4. hayesburrow thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, well i am still under warranty so do you think they will fix it for me ?

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had quite a few MBPs of the older generation and they are ALL like that. More or less. These design issues can be traced back to the older powerbooks too -- my mother's powerbook G4 from 2005 looks just like yours.

In other words: it's perfectly 'normal' for that model MBP. Sending it in to Apple won't help you much and, even if one issue gets resolved, you also risk getting other problems as a result of the repair.

My advice is just to enjoy it. If you really want, you can try what some people have done (including myself) and put a couple of heavy books on top of the MBP over night. That may straighten it a little. Other than that, not much you can do.

6. jpma macrumors 6502

i forgot to mention mine has wider gap than yours.

7. hayesburrow thread starter macrumors newbie

well if i did that i am scared the aluminum screen casing will bend out more over the plastic surroud like what i have in a couple of the pictures i posted.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

Actually, what you see on yours is quite normal out of the box -- as I mentioned, pretty much every one I've seen starting with the first generation powerbook G4 aluminium has that issue to a certain degree. If you remove the back metal display cover, you'd see that it's not really a problem of the aluminium bending out over the the plastic; it's more as though the plastic wasn't moulded 100% correctly to fit the aluminium. The design didn't allow for even the slightest misalignment and the assembly technique wasn't up to snuff for this design.

PS. Looking at your pictures, I think yours is less warped than many others. Also, if you just don't shine a light straight on the area where the thin edge of the aluminium 'protrudes', you won't notice it. Not that that's an ideal solution, but maybe it will allow you to forget about it?

9. hayesburrow thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thanks everyone, now just to get my battery issue looked at