CSS and DHTML question

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
HI all...two questions-

1) I have carefully layed out my DHTML layers in dreamweaver so that each page has the same layout (coordinates). For some reason, safari seems to ignore these coordinates and I notice slight position shifiting of my lower content layers from page to page (see here: http://www.bhennies.com ). This doesn't seem to be happening as much if at all in explorer or mozilla. Any ideas as to why this could be happening?

2) I have seen drop shadows applied to the edges of entire pages (the pages fall off at the edges). Is this a CSS function or do you just create a drop shadow in photoshop and paste it as a background into a skinny table aligned with your content tables?

THANKS!!!!

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
The drop shadow effects on the side of pages can be done with tables (ew) or CSS. Either way, you'll need a drop shadow graphic from Photoshop.

For tables: create a drop shadow that's one pixel high. Go ahead and duplicate it in the Finder, and open up your second copy and flip it 180° in Photoshop. Create your table, and then set it as the background of the table in CSS.

For CSS: Create a new image that is the width of the drop shadow+the width of the page+the width of the drop shadow, all one pixel high. Create your drop shadow in this new image and save it. From there, set something like this in your CSS: body {background: #fff url(dropshadow.jpg) repeat-y}. There you have it!

The CSS way, of course, is nicer because it's less code and no tables! However, you might need to do the table way if the CSS doesn't work or conflicts with something on your site. Sorry I can't help with the layers (I've never heard of them before).
-Chase

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
michaelrjohnson said:
CSS Dropshadows-

CSS Shadows
CSS Onionskinned Shadows

It is possible to do dropshadows with CSS in a roundabout way. I'd like to suggest sticking with one medium: CSS, html. Try and get your pages to validate. Just a suggestion.
Hi thanks for the replies everyone. what do you mean by "try to get your pages to validate?". Did it not load properly? The entire page was just HTML (no CSS) until last night- the Flash titlebar is in no way finished- I'd like it to be more dynamic with drop menus etc. down the road.

Also, as a reply to rendezvous CP, when you set the CSS background to drop shadow, do you have to specify alignment? For example, what if I wanted the drop shadow to be centered? Forgive me for my basic questions- but my knowledge of CSS is mostly just text and link behavior- not so much alignment.

Thanks!

p.s. if you are referring to abandoning the layers, michaelrjohnson, that I can agree with as I think they may be more trouble than it's worth.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
Dreamweaver is ok but if you want total control over your websites you really need to learn code and use Bbedit. Css and style sheets will control everything and you can then code it to work with an aray of browsers.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
If you wanted to center it (which is the way I posted it before I realized your site wasn't centered) it would be {background: #fff url(dropshadow.jpg) repeat-y 50% 0} for centering alignment.

I suggest that you do go ahead and abandon layers if you can, and move on to templates for your site. Templates are very easy to use in Dreamweaver and it's very easy to create editable content for each page. Unless, you are, and I really have no clue what layers are.
-Chase

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Bhennies said:
For example, what if I wanted the drop shadow to be centered? Forgive me for my basic questions- but my knowledge of CSS is mostly just text and link behavior- not so much alignment.
w3schools is a wonderful resource for simple things, especially the CSS reference. I often use it when my brain fails.

edit: Y'know, I've never used layers before, either...

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Thanks everyone. Much aprpeciated. I ditched the layers and just did the layout in ld fashioned tables. Behaving much better. I'll work on that CSS drop and post the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.