CSS Buttons Question

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MattSepeta, May 2, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I am more of a design guy at heart but have been helping my company do some web over-hauling of our sites. We have been using simply Photoshop-made buttons for our links.

Question: Can someone check out this site. I am wondering if the buttons on the top leading off the page are made strictly using CSS/HTML, or if there is a photoshop template behind it.

From what I can gather on a few other CSS Button tutorials there may be a blank photoshop template behind it and the CSS can stretch it and add the text? Am I way off base?

Thanks for helping me handle my code ignorance :(

EDIT: Forgot about the mouseover glow... Is this done strictly through CSS or do you need an "after" state image?

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

Those can be done with pure CSS.

Check out cssportal.com. The have a neat online generator for cross-browser rounded corners as well as gradients.

3. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Those are done with a background image:
    http://komotion.com/wp-content/themes/komotion/styles/blue/button_sprite.png

The mouseover effect is using javascript to change the opacity of the image -- it makes it slightly more transparent (80% transparent), which gives the "lightening" effect. Nice little effect!

4. manueld macrumors 6502

Just keep in mind as well that the transparency trick doesn't work in IE so make sure you have a fall back in those instances.

5. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Good point! I'd recommend using jQuery for a project like this. The jQuery transparency functions work across all browsers.