Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
I'm tinkering around with the idea of making my own personal website. I've played with iWeb (which came with my new iMac) and I'm not impressed...it looks very nice and the themes are easy to customize, but even with no graphics, just text and formatting, a single page is monstrous in size. I only get 15MB of free space from my ISP because I'm too cheap to spend money on .Mac (or any hosting service, for that matter...it's just for personal stuff that my family will be looking at, but not many other people, I don't think). That 15MB should be sufficient for 25-30 pictures from my digital camera (a crappy Kodak that takes pictures at 1600x1204, and then I resize them down around 960x720 and do minor touch-up stuff in Photoshop Elements 4...JPG files come out to be around 300k each) at any given time, as well as all the text.

I downloaded and tinkered around with NVu, which has a CSS editor, but it appears you need to know CSS syntax to get it going.

What I really want is a WYSIWYG HTML editor that can apply some sort of formatting across an entire website without having to edit each file individually. I'm pretty sure that's the point of CSS (though I've been wrong before). I also don't want to have to learn a great deal of syntax. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for a piece of software (in the <$100 range, I'd say) that will at bare minimum set up and manage a website for me without having to grow my brain terribly much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.