CSS fun, ul {position: relative;}

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eclipse, Jan 13, 2009.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Can someone explain this to me a bit more? I thought to position elements and images, I had to whack an ID, Div's, or some sort of defined XHTML "element root" around the thing and then define how that behaves. (Element root being the opening and closing HTML tags or "Body" tags.)

Is this guy saying that an unordered list can act as an "element root" for everything inside the list? He's CSSing the list into a table with graphics, and has just said something about position relative giving a
    "framework" to things within it. That confused me, because until then my definition for "position relative" was something like:

...in my own weird understanding...

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, I think you're understanding it. I often make use of ul tags and position them around and manipulate the li inside. I often change the li to be horizontal rather than the default vertical arrangement. Though position: relative allows you to move the tag around a little more. Generally speaking you won't be moving it very far when taking this approach.

I use relative generally when I'm using absolute positioning on a tag inside that relative positioned element. Then for that absolute element, when I say top: 0, it goes to the top of that relative element and not the top of the page. It's relative to its parent.

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Ahhhhaaaaaaa!

I said, "AAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAA!"

:D

So if I have an image I want to be "centered" on the page I have to call the HTML tags or body tags "relative" to make the image inside it "relative" to the parent tags? If centering is so easy, why do some people use the "right auto left auto" thing to center stuff?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, you don't have to make it relative to be centered. Also, when you do, it doesn't automatically make it centered, which is where setting the margin property comes into play (the auto stuff, though there are multiple ways). I'd have to see examples to be more specific, but I think you pretty well have it.