CSS help, please... I am on my last leg

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Hey there, welcome to my CSS problems. I have been searching google, pestering my friends on AIM, and still no solution is in sight.

I am re-designing my website and this time around have decided CSS is the way to go. No more tables.

So here is my problem. I have been working to get CSS div's to display at a 100% height. I found some info. that said to place the body tag at 100% height and then they would work. Sure enough it did. The problem is in IE 6 I get an odd gap at the bottom of the page before it hits the bottom. It also presents a scroll bar, even though I don't want one. I have an image on the left side of the page, behind that is a tiling image that needs to expand to the entire height of the page.

In addition it looks right now I won't be able to get the page to work in Mac IE 5.X.

Is there anyway to tackle this problem and make it look and run correctly in all browsers? I have been looking at some crazy CSS designs (www.csszengarden.com) and they seem to be more browser complient than my more simplistic page.

EDIT: how did I forget to link my problem!? http://www.fluidvision.net/v4/

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
It looks like you've run into the "100%" bug, with height. IE is probably interpreting it as 100% + padding, margin, border, etc. To fix it, I think you'll have to apply the box model hack, but I'm not quite sure. A page to look at would be helpful.

However, there might be an easier way to do what you are trying to accomplish. What are you trying to do by using 100% height?

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. :(
-Chase

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
rendezvouscp said:
It looks like you've run into the "100%" bug, with height. IE is probably interpreting it as 100% + padding, margin, border, etc. To fix it, I think you'll have to apply the box model hack, but I'm not quite sure. A page to look at would be helpful.

However, there might be an easier way to do what you are trying to accomplish. What are you trying to do by using 100% height?

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. :(
-Chase
wow, my bad, I added the link to my first post! sorry about that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.