CSS Help!!!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Peter Kim, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Peter Kim macrumors member

Hi, I am coding a website I designed and it's my first time laying everything out using CSS instead of tables. It's been a little slow going but I've gotten everything pretty much as I'd like.

The site is perfect in Safari and Firefox but when I tested my site in IE (ugh...) the main navigation and an arrow indicator are not aligned properly. What am I doing wrong? I'm not much of an expert so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Here is what I want to look like

See attachment for an IE screenshot. Alternately you can see it using IE NetRenderer

Thanks in advance for any help, thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You've got some serious HTML syntax errors in some places and one is causing the problem for IE. So it's not your CSS. Thanks for providing the screen shot though. I always hate trying to make guesses as how it may look wrong in IE from a Mac.

Syntax issue 1:
    HTML:
    <bodyt" onload="MM_preloadImages( id="contac'images/
    Good golly what is that? Delete the t" as well as the id="contac parts.

Syntax issue 2:
    HTML:
    <div id="about" "class="navArrow">
    This the one causing problems for IE. Delete the " in front of class.

Some other things you should know. When using the style tag, be sure to give a mime type,
    HTML:
    <style type="text/css">
    For scripts tags don't worry about the language attribute as it's deprecated, use the following,
    HTML:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    On some of your layout images, like the vertical bar (|) you have the alt attribute set to |, which is bad practice. These alt attributes are read by screen readers and when it comes across that it will read out "vertical bar" and that's just confusing to visitors. Leave the attribute blank instead. Preferably to should do those with CSS so it's out of the HTML.

I know you're working through the page, but just in case you're not aware, the center tag is deprecated. Looks like you're getting a good start with the CSS though and glad to hear you're leaving table designs behind.

3. Peter Kim thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! Coding was never my thing but I'm trying to make it work. I'm sure the code made you cringe a little, it's all very patchwork. Maybe I'll learn it for real next time instead of two days before a big meeting! Thanks again.