CSS + IE = Troubles

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by semaja2, Sep 12, 2007.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

Im having a bit of trouble aligning the buttons on this website in IE6/7? like they do in FF/Safari/etc can anyone help me work out why and how to fix it?

http://www.semaja2.net/cinema/

PS. I can align if i nudge it down with a break, but that stuffs FF/etc up

PSS. Sometimes its also not aligning to the middle, and the middle background (film) does not reach the bottom of the screen

2. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Couple things I noticed.

Maybe you should have your h1 outside of your menu div.

If you were to use this, which isn't necessary.

Code:
        <!--[if IE]>
        margin-top: 25px;
        <![endif]-->
    It goes in you html not css

If it was me, I could use float left in my LI.

3. jonnylink macrumors 6502

why are you using
    Code:
    display: table-cell;
    ? It isn't very cross-browser friendly? Try using "inline" instead, it is supposed to fix a few of the IE quarks when floating things.

Also you seem to be defining a lot of things in ways I can understand. Why are you using
    Code:
    position:static;
    for the links? IE doesn't even understand static positioning, but I don't see a need for it here either, nor the line height since these are one line menu items arranged horizontally.

If it was me I'd clean out the code a bit and see how things are working and the narrow down what's going wrong. IE really screws up with float though and you'll probably be best off creating a separate sheet adjust things as needed in IE.

Best of luck— I know IE can be a huge headache.

ps I find this site helpful for these sort of things http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/