CSS on Macbook ...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thinkbig12, Aug 13, 2008.

1. thinkbig12 macrumors member

Hi

I just got my new macbook, 2.4 GHZ 2 GB of Ram and X3100.

I can't run CSS completely smooth. Even running it at DX7 it still lags... I've seen videos on youtube were ppl managed to play CSS at great framerates :(

Any idea on how to optimize the game ?

Thanks

Edit: I've used Boot Camp

2. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Well I'd guess lower resolution and lower textures, other than that I dunno what else you could do!

But yeah, it should run OK on a Macbook of that spec. It should at least be playable...

You might have something else wrong there, perhaps with drivers or something

Ed

3. thinkbig12 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Anyone else go an idea?

4. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

Yeah I would just turn some of the settings down. Make sure you don't have any apps running in the background too.

5. zango macrumors member

6. thinkbig12 thread starter macrumors member

Nah, Boot Camp. I'm trying with CrossOver now, hopefully it will work better!

7. zango macrumors member

alright, let us know how crossover works out for you, if it changes anything

8. thinkbig12 thread starter macrumors member

Crossover runs the game MUCH better than Boot Camp!! I can now play the game with decent framerates!

You guys now know Crossover > Boot Camp for games :)

9. Matek macrumors 6502a

Wait, what?

The game runs BETTER if you run it through some kind of emulation software that allows running windows apps on OS X than it does, if you run it from Windows natively? That's pretty amazing :D.

There might have been some problems with your Windows installation (graphics drivers?), this shouldn't be happening.

10. caktusaurus macrumors member

Sorry to sidetrack, but reading the first couple of lines in the original post (not knowing what CSS stood for) had me quite startled. I was thinking about CSS :rolleyes:

Regarding your question, BootCamp is pretty much the way to go. Running it natively in Windows (use XP, not Vista!) is just like running it on a equally speced Windows PC. Make sure you have the latest Windows drivers for the X3100. The X3100 is not by any means a gaming GPU, but you should probably do fine with lowered settings on quite a few of the newer games.

11. thinkbig12 thread starter macrumors member

Well maybe I've some problems with the graphic card drivers. When I click on display settings ( on windows xp ) it says I have an intel 645 or 945.... it should be written x3100 right?

And where can I find those drivers?

Thanks

12. caktusaurus macrumors member

It's not certain that it would say X3100, since it's an integrated graphics chip. It could say something like "GM965 integrated graphics", where GM965 is the mobile chipset used on the Santa Rosa platform.

Drivers can be found at Intels site. Just choose your operating system and download the driver.

There's a good chance you won't see a dramatic (or even noticeable) performance increase though, but it's worth a shot.

13. thinkbig12 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'll try it out.

And, when clicking on my system specs, it says my processor is running at 790 mhz...?

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

After you'd installed Windows did you put in the Leopard disk and install the bootcamp drivers?

15. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I used to have a SR MacBook with the x3100 and CSS ran just fine :S

I think the drivers are the issue, just upgrade the drivers on BootCamp via Intel's site and the game should run just fine on med-high settings.

16. thinkbig12 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I did it and it actually works better now!

Thanks!

17. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

790 hmz??? WT*!!! that's really slow -- i think you need to install the windows drivers from the CD that came with your macbook - it shouldnt be running that slow -- also, make sure that you are plugged in and your battery is working properly. - if none of that works -- use bootcamp to UNinstall windows and then reinstall it and make sure you load the drivers this time.