CTO - Better Quality Control?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macvy Ricky, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Macvy Ricky macrumors member

I was wondering if you ordered a MBP CTO - they would have better quality control? Since they have to manually add stuff to the MBP? Any thoughts?

2. dennis123123 macrumors member

I assumed that when I ordered mine, also thought its much less likely to have older parts (thinking the EFI 1.7 SATA issue here).

I'm still happy with the stock hdd, so I don't know if I have that issue; but the rest of it is perfect :)

3. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

They still have to manually add stuff to the base configurations too, don't they? I mean, it is an MBP but it still can't put itself together. :p

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same or similar components and AFAIK virtually the same assembly process so I wouldn't think that you could improve your odds on getting a defect free machine by going the CTO route. Quite the contrary, because you cannot return a CTO machine (except under very rare circumstances) nor can you swap it out if it arrives DOA. It makes more sense to go the stock route.

5. SWC macrumors 6502

Apple has amended their return policy. You can return CTO now you just can't modify or cancel your order once it is prepared. I was surprised by this when I seen it the other day.

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

Why would you not be able to return/swap out a defective CTO machine?

If Apple hopes to make a customer develop a sense of loyalty, they would be wise not to snub their nose at their highest ending customers.

Had my CTO MBP arrived defective, and they told me I couldn't return it but had to have it fixed and hacked open on day #1, I would've told them to very politely shove it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Gotcha, I had not realized they changed their policy

As noted by SWC that used to be the case, but apple has since updated their return policy. Back in the day, if you went the CTO path, you could not return the machine.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I returned a CTO iMac that my wife bought for me a couple of months ago. It wasn't even opened. No issues returning it.

9. crobbins macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, I purchased an iMac, stock configuration, and it had to be returned twice for a dead drive once, and a screen issue the second time. When I bought a stock MBP it had be returned three times, the first time, it had 15 dead pixels on it, the second time, random shut downs, and the third time, I opened it in the Apple Store and the screen was screwed up entirely. I just bought a CTO Matte MBP and it was perfect. Now, these first two machines were purchased right after the transition to Intel so I don't know if they were just overwhelmed, or what, but it was a little frustrating..