ctrl alt del

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by grandM, Mar 28, 2014.

1. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

It's a bit disappointing to me: osX froze on me (in my second week)
    MsWindows has "ctrl alt del", does macOS have a similar function
    I had to hit the power button :s

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I will usually try a Force Quit first. (Option-Command-Esc), when an app has stopped responding. You will always have the option to force-quit the Finder, Or any app that is listed as "Stopped Responding", or force-quit, even if none are listed as stopped. That's a good likelihood that the system will continue to operate. Or, it could be a hardware issue - and you can press and hold the power button (as you did).
    But, I would try force-quit first.

If this freeze happens again, you can check in that Force-Quit window to see if the same app is the culprit each time. If it is something that you have added to the system, you would want to check that there's no updates available, for example.

3. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the OS is complete frozen then yeah.

What apps were you running, it may not be the OS that got hung. Did you see the spinning beach ball of death? Try to click someone else on the screen to pull up Finder or another app?

Generally OS X has been incredibly stable for me, but with that said, I've found 10.9.2 less so. I've had my computer crash while using gotomypc and of course I'm remote when it hangs so I have to wait until I get home.

It could be the app or 10.9.2 for me, but ever since the update, its been a bit unstable using that one app (everything else appears to be fine)

5. grandM, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

I didn't see any spinning wheel. Firefox began to hang. At first I could still move my mouse around. Suddonly my mouse also disappeared. I also saw that my external HD went dead, it restarted, and went dead again. I tried to windows button, alt, esc (think this coincides with the command, etc buttons): nothing happened. So I pushed the power button. A shame though, don't like doing so.

----------

I didn't see any spinning wheel. Firefox began to hang. At first I could still move my mouse around. Suddonly my mouse also disappeared. I also saw that my external HD went dead, it restarted, and went dead again. I tried to windows button, alt, esc (think this coincides with the command, etc buttons): nothing happened. So I pushed the power button. A shame though, don't like doing so.

6. chinajon macrumors newbie

chinajon

After Hanging

Sometimes during a hang/crash a disk drive is in an unstable condition.

Install Applejack.

After a forced quit (Power Button 10 seconds) press Command s.
    A terminal will open.
    Type applejack
    run disk repair
    restart

This will not correct what caused the crash - probably - but will reduce errors on the HD caused by the forced quit.

Applejack is a free utility: applejack.sourceforge.net/