Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I've owned several MacBook Pros dating to 2007. I'd typically press ctrl-opt-cmd-eject to shut down, or ctrl-cmd-eject to reboot.

On my 2012 15" rMBP, the eject key functionality has been replaced with the power button. However, when I use either of the two key combinations, when the computer reboots, I receive an error message upon logging in, "You shut down your computer because of a problem."

I do not get this message when choosing >Restart. . . or >Shut Down. . . from the Apple Menu; nor do I get this message if restarting by pressing the power button and then selecting Restart or Shutdown from the popup that presents itself.

2012 15" 2.7 GHz rMBP, 16GB, 768SSD, Running 10.8.2

I wanted to ask whether others are experiencing similar results, and whether anyone can share insight as to [1] why this is occurring and [2] how to prevent it?

thanks!
Mark

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 9.58.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 9.58.45 AM.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 199

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've owned several MacBook Pros dating to 2007. I'd typically press ctrl-opt-cmd-eject to shut down, or ctrl-cmd-eject to reboot.

On my 2012 15" rMBP, the eject key functionality has been replaced with the power button. However, when I use either of the two key combinations, when the computer reboots, I receive an error message upon logging in, "You shut down your computer because of a problem."

I do not get this message when choosing >Restart. . . or >Shut Down. . . from the Apple Menu; nor do I get this message if restarting by pressing the power button and then selecting Restart or Shutdown from the popup that presents itself.

2012 15" 2.7 GHz rMBP, 16GB, 768SSD, Running 10.8.2

I wanted to ask whether others are experiencing similar results, and whether anyone can share insight as to [1] why this is occurring and [2] how to prevent it?

thanks!
Mark

What happens if you use the Fn key together with your commands?
Might solve it.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
What happens if you use the Fn key together with your commands?
Might solve it.
No change. . .

Thanks for the suggestion though. What was your thinking/rationale behind adding the fn key to the combination?

cheers,
Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.