Ctrl-keys for text formatting & Safari

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Apologies if already asked...

What technology does the text editing feature that allows you to press, for instance, Ctrl-B to highlight text, use?

I upgraded to Safari 3 finally and noted it still does not work in Safari... so I was wondering what standard (or non-standard / easter egg feature) it relied on and why Safari doesn't seem to support it?

Thanks! :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Good question... IE 6 on my work Dull works better in that regard than Safari, with full wysiwyg. Disappointing that Safari 3 doesn't seem to have fixed this. In other words, I have no clue.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was surprised, because I rather assumed it was Javascript, and people had been talking about Safari 3's better Javascript implementation. Hmmm....

Notably, it is a function that Firefox (including on OS X) has supported for some time, so unless Firefox just emulated a loophole in IE, it actually uses some kind of legitimate process to get the ctrl-key sequences.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
In Safari, the CTRL, SHIFT and ALT keys aren't actually passed on correctly.

Yes, it's irritating that Safari 3 doesn't still have correct Javascript support, but it's much better. There's a wysiwyg editor running on my website which works almost perfectly in Safari. Only limitation over other browsers is that it doesn't fully support images, you can drag them into the text field, but you can't resize them with handles like you can in Firefox and IE.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Note: of no real relevance or help but...

I <3 Camino. Ctrl + B/ I/ U works for me. :p

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I believe so, and it's not just 'one' issue, it's numerous issues...