Ctrl-keys for text formatting & Safari

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mkrishnan, Jul 21, 2007.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apologies if already asked...

What technology does the text editing feature that allows you to press, for instance, Ctrl-B to highlight text, use?

I upgraded to Safari 3 finally and noted it still does not work in Safari... so I was wondering what standard (or non-standard / easter egg feature) it relied on and why Safari doesn't seem to support it?

Thanks! :)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good question... IE 6 on my work Dull works better in that regard than Safari, with full wysiwyg. Disappointing that Safari 3 doesn't seem to have fixed this. In other words, I have no clue.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was surprised, because I rather assumed it was Javascript, and people had been talking about Safari 3's better Javascript implementation. Hmmm....

Notably, it is a function that Firefox (including on OS X) has supported for some time, so unless Firefox just emulated a loophole in IE, it actually uses some kind of legitimate process to get the ctrl-key sequences.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

In Safari, the CTRL, SHIFT and ALT keys aren't actually passed on correctly.

Yes, it's irritating that Safari 3 doesn't still have correct Javascript support, but it's much better. There's a wysiwyg editor running on my website which works almost perfectly in Safari. Only limitation over other browsers is that it doesn't fully support images, you can drag them into the text field, but you can't resize them with handles like you can in Firefox and IE.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Note: of no real relevance or help but...

I <3 Camino. Ctrl + B/ I/ U works for me. :p

6. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL I hear you... I can't stand it, sadly. :( I'll use FF before I use Camino. :p

Ahhh, Killyp, so it is a Javascript issue still?

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I believe so, and it's not just 'one' issue, it's numerous issues...