ctrl + right clicking. Way around this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by audiokeeffe, Aug 18, 2010.

1. audiokeeffe macrumors member

Ok, I've been using Mac for the last 3 years, and have always used a dell mouse. (couldn't stand the mac mouse) I have gotten used to the fact that I have to hold ctrl while right clicking and it hasn't been a problem for me.

But now I'm curious, is there a way to turn this off, so that I can just right click without having to use my left hand to press ctrl?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

While you're probably trolling, you only have to press ctrl to right click if you have a one button mouse. You can right click without holding down ctrl so long as you have multiple buttons.

3. audiokeeffe thread starter macrumors member

What are you talking about? Why would I be trolling...?

I have a dell mouse with two buttons, but it still requires me to press ctrl at the same time.

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

Try going to System Preferences -> Mouse and see if there are some settings you can change in there.

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Throw it in a garbage bin, then. I have used cheap-o mice with my iMac G3 and with my MBP, and all of them supported left clicks.

6. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I use Logitech and Microsoft mice, and the right click works exactly the same on my Macs & my Windows computers.

7. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Just sounds like the Right mouse button is set to be a default left button. Open your Mouse prefs and check. That sometimes happens with third-party mice or even Apple mice by default.