CTRL+X for files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thunderboltedge, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

I know for many mac users this could be a silly question, but since I found many threads all over the web about this issue for the new joiners of the mac community, maybe a topic about this could be helpful for everybody.

How do I move a file from one location in the finder to the other without copying it but just moving? Every time I try, it copies the file, so that i have than to erase the original one.
    I know CTRL+X does not work for files in OS (cannot explain myself the reason for this painful choice for the user). Is there a way I can do it anyway, without copying files and eliminate the original one every time I drag it?

Does it exist a kind of app (such as moom or similar) for the specific operation?

Since I got my mac I have to say very user friendly but I MISS so much this windows' feature.
    I hope this can help many others.

Thanks all

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Download the free XtraFinder. Regularly updated - has a bunch of useful features, one of them enabling Cmd+X.

Lightweight and unobtrusive - been using it since 2012 without issues.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

On the same disk, standard behavior is to move the file. Only when copying to a different disk does the copy process leave the original untouched.

4. Thunderboltedge, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Great,
    That is what i was looking for! thanks a lot

5. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

I know, it should be straightforward I cannot believe the web is full of topic like this asking how to move a file.

Honestly the user friendly idea of Apple should take into consideration this, i cannot believe nowdays users are struggling to do such a basic command.
    I tried even option+command+v since i read it would have worked as copy special and move the item.

No way I could make it work. For machines worthing more the 2000$ is quite embarrassing even to say.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Some Windows habits just don't cut it in OS X.
    On a Mac, you still copy (can't cut!) a file, then move it (don't paste).
    Right klick on target folder and hold Alt. Copy changes to Move.
    Move has been in Finder since Maverics at least, maybe even ML.

7. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

I know it is all about habit.

Unfortunately you spend so much time at work with windows that you got dependent on some shortcuts or tools.

I have to say the solution of Xtrafinder which I am trying work perfectly so it solves all the issue.

I definitely recommend it and thanks to the user who suggested it!

8. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100