CUBASE or LOGIC PRO for recording?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by PenrynMBP, Feb 29, 2008.

1. PenrynMBP macrumors member

Hey guys, right after I get my MAC, I will be buying an external recording interface as well as the recording software. I am not sure which SOFTWARE to buy. I am looking for something that's not too difficult to learn but is still professional.
    Which do you recemmend? Cubase or Logic? I HEARD Logic was easier to use and learn, but Cubase is INDUSTRY STANDARD. Anyways let me know, thanks guys!

2. Elektroakoustik macrumors member

Elektroakoustik

Both can do recording, but the industry standard is actually Digidesign's Pro Tools. If you want the program that everyone uses, its pro tools. Walk in to any recording studio across the nation and probably 80% of them use pro tools.

Logic and Cubase are more designed for sequencing but they can do recording as well. Logic's recording leaves something to be desired. I don't know as much about Cubase's recording.

Another program you can look at is MOTU's Digital Performer. It's recording capabilities are better than Logic's and it also plugs into pro tools fairly easily. It also has excellent sequencing abilities.

All these programs have a fairly steep learning curve. Professionally, none of them are really "easy." Logic actually has a tendency to be easy on simple tasks, and really hard on more complicated tasks. I would recommend you buy a "learning Pro Tools/Logic/Cubase/DP/etc" book.

As for audio interfaces, make sure the interface you buy is compatible with the program you use. Pro tools is usually harder to find compatible interfaces but M-Audio makes a bunch of decent ones that run an "M-Powered" version of pro tools. I would suggest that if you want to start recording professionally.

If you want to get really crystal clear recordings, make sure you buy external pre-amps for your audio interface. Pre-amps built into audio interfaces are usually fairly cheap and don't have as clear of a sound as you would get with an external pre-amp.

Whatever your choice is, it depends more on how your recording sounds, more than the software you use. But just because the world is hooked on pro tools, is why I recommend that.

Lastly, I recommend you contact one of the professionals at www.sweetwater.com. There is a bunch of really knowledgeable guys over there and I trust them a lot. They'll definetly be able to put you in the right direction

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sorry, i don't think that's very good advice.

OP -- you should try out the main contenders: PT, Logic, Cubase, DP, and decide which one suits your workflow best. go with that one and don't worry about what "everyone else" uses.

after you pick your software, then you can go about finding compatible hardware. that's usually not an issue unless you pick PT, then you'll have to get something from m-audio (for PT-M) or digidesign (for PTLE).

sweetwater's fine for making purchases, but i don't really take advice from them...

4. Elektroakoustik macrumors member

Elektroakoustik

The reason I recommend Pro Tools is because most people interested in recording professionally are going to end up working with studios. Yes there are a bunch of programs out there, but I have yet to go into a studio that uses anything other than Pro Tools. As for personal recording, any of the programs can work.

Good luck trying to find a place to try out all those programs. MOTU, Pro Tools, and Logic don't have demos. You can find Cubase demos, but they are usually older versions of the program. If you're a student, check your university's music labs. They'll usually have one or two DAW's in their aresnel.

You have to talk to the right people at Sweetwater. I recommend Brad Lyons. He owns an amazing studio and knows most of the DAW's very thoroughly.

My last recommendation is join some of the forums specific to each program
    MOTU DP: www.unicornation.com
    Logic: www.logicprohelp.com
    Cubase: www.cubase.net
    Pro Tools: http://duc.digidesign.com/

Just ask some questions and tell them what you want to do with the program and those guys should help you out as well.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

couple things: first, i'm not sure that's true. second, the OP didn't say he was going to record professionally, only that he wanted a professional program (so not GB, i'm guessing).

third, i think it's a little hasty to push PT simply for compatibility reasons. i think it's up to the OP to determine how important that is to him.

my personal opinion is that workflow is king. a particular DAW could have all the things anyone could ever want, but if it's not enjoyable to use, or fights you during the creative process, that can be discouraging. better to get the program that works-like-you-think and run with it.

and fwiw, i use PT.

6. Elektroakoustik macrumors member

Elektroakoustik

I guess I did misread what the thread-starter wrote. Professional programs is different than recording professionally. I would agree that Pro Tools is super bad with compatibility.

I personally don't use Pro Tools as my number one DAW (I use Digital Performer) but I also don't do a lot of recording (I'm a big time sequencing guy).

PenrynMBP, to wrap up this crazy banter between me and zimv20, pretty much any program you get will be professional. Zimv20 has a good point on workflow. From my personal experience, I really enjoy how Digital Performer works. I think Logic's new consolidated window is also a nice upgrade from previous versions. I find pro tools fairly similar to DP, but I personally don't find it easier (I actually find it more difficult in many areas). Once you learn one program, its not very hard to figure the other ones out. I still would recommend hitting the DAW forums I listed in a previous post and asking the people who use this stuff every day (I'm a member at unicornation).

7. ultimatemacman macrumors newbie

Logic

I'd go with logic for ease of use, great tools and it works perfectly

:apple:iPhone 3G
    :apple:iPhone 3GS
    :apple:iPhone 4
    :apple:12-Core 32GB RAM Mac Pro
    :apple:6GB RAM MacBook Pro
    :apple:iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB
    :apple:iPod Nano 3G Silver
    :apple:iPod Nano 3G Black
    :apple:iPod Nano 4G Blue
    :apple:4GB RAM MacBook

8. Papanate macrumors regular

When I switched from PC to Mac I also switched from Nuendo to
    Logic Pro. Nuendo is basically the same as Cubase BTW...Steinburg
    Just put more post tools inside.

Both Cubase and Logic Pro are fairly easy to use. I made my choice based on Logics integration with Apple. But I was also pleasantly surprised at the large number of high quality plug ins included with Logic. I would also recommend going to MacProVideo or Lynda.com and taking advantage of the excellent Logic Pro tutorials. The tutorials will seriously shorten your learning curve.

I also got an Apogee Duet because it was a nice high quality sound interface and because it also integrates quite seamlessly with Apple.