Cube DVD Drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Jan 14, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have a cube with a dead DVD drive.

I can put a disk in and it will feed it in, but(seemingly) will not spin the disk and will instead eject it back out(albeit sluggishly). Occasionally, the disk will remain in the drive and not eject until I hit the eject key, but it never mounts on the desktop.

I've tried CD-ROMs, audio CDs, and DVDs, all in both burned and pressed form. I've also tried a cleaning disk.

The drive DOES show up in system profiler, so I suspect that there's some life in it.

I know that pretty much the only drive directly interchangeable in these is the iMac drive, but all the working pulls I seem to find are CD-ROM drives. I'd really like to keep the DVD in this. Apparently the MCE Superdrive is still available, but I'm also not inclined to drop $100 on one.

As I tend to be a pretty heavy user of target disk mode at least with PPC Macs, I really want to use the correct Cube drive so that I don't lose TDM on my hard drive.

From what I've described, is there any chance of this drive being able to be rebuilt?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To give a better answer, you'd need to put a disc in and watch what the drive does when working. Does the spindle motor spin, but not clamp the disc?

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I tried operating it out of the computer last night via a USB bridge, but couldn't tell a whole lot. As best as I could tell, it was not clamping the disk, although I'm also not sure if the spindle motor was running.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the spindle motor spins, you should try rebuilding it. For it to clamp the disc, the disc must go in all the way and trigger the gears to move over and engage the clamp part of the drive.

5. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks-the seller refunded me just about that much for the dead drive(since it was advertised as working) so I may just buy that.

Then, I'll have a drive that's working for sure. If I can rebuilt the one in it, I can then change out the CD-ROM drive in my other Cube for a DVD.

7. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Decent seller...good for u. I once had a seller replace the superdrive since it stopped functioning soon after i bought his Pwr Mac G5..

Anyways u are a step ahead of me in restoring your Cube, my restoration of my Cube is frozen for the time being ! Work/studies:confused:

8. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Seeing this makes me beleive there is some good left in this world. After seeing all these people abuse the name apple and selling people PowerPC macs for WAY too much and claiming they are new macs. The amount of people that get screwed is sad. But to see some are still honest and he refunded the cost of a non working drive says there is hope.

9. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The drive from We Love Macs arrived today.

I got it installed, and it works perfectly.

I can now play with rebuilding the old one, but if I don't get anywhere, no big deal.

My other Cube has a CD-RW, so I think I'm going to leave it as-is.

10. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

at cube owner

I got the parts at cube owner and such to put in a iMac G5 dvd burner and it aligns correctly. With ice adapter and power cord any Apple branded (for ease) works well in there. At cube owner I got in touch with a guy years ago who had the spacers to slide the drive right in. I added a fan just because and been super happy since.