cube hard drive installable in an imac 333?

mleenyor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
4
0
Does anyone here know whether a hard drive taken out of an Apple cube (40GB) can run in an old generation tray loading imac which came with only 6GB? I would like just a bit more room on the imac for my retired dad who only reads the news on the net, currently the imac is running on OS X.
 

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
1,460
6
One note though. The tray loading iMacs have a limitation with odler drives. The OS must be installed on a partition wholly contained within the first 8 gigs of the drive. It can be smaller, but it has to be fully contained within the first 8 gigs. So you might consider moving some default folder locations ot the other partition so space doesn't get limited in the default locations on the partition where the OS is installed.
 

mleenyor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
4
0
When I reboot a clean install after the hard drive switch, the first thing I plan to install is the OS X. Will that do in terms of allocating all of OS X into the first 8 GB?
 

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
712
21
Massachusetts
mleenyor said:
When I reboot a clean install after the hard drive switch, the first thing I plan to install is the OS X. Will that do in terms of allocating all of OS X into the first 8 GB?
Actually you will want to reformat the drive into two partitions. The first partition will need to be about 8 gigs, the second everything else. Install the OS on that first partition. You acn install software, documants on the second partition, but it is important to have the first partition set up for the OS X install, that way there is no chance it will end up after that first 8.
 

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
1,460
6
Wyvernspirit said:
it is important to have the first partition set up for the OS X install, that way there is no chance it will end up after that first 8.
On a tray loading iMac, it won't even let you try to install Os X unless the partition meets the requirements.

OS 9 was a bit different in that regard. It would let you install on any partition, and it would work on larger partitions, but the moment fragmentation caused system files to move outside those first 8 gigs, it would stop booting. So OS X is a bit smarter about thsi limitation.
 

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
712
21
Massachusetts
strider42 said:
On a tray loading iMac, it won't even let you try to install Os X unless the partition meets the requirements.

OS 9 was a bit different in that regard. It would let you install on any partition, and it would work on larger partitions, but the moment fragmentation caused system files to move outside those first 8 gigs, it would stop booting. So OS X is a bit smarter about thsi limitation.
I wouldn't call that "smarter." The suggestion I made was to make sure there is no boot up problem later (as quaoted: system files to move outside those first 8 gigs, it would stop booting).

I had a Beige G3 I had to do this to in order to get it to work. and OS 9 did not have this limitation, suggesting that, in fact, it was smarter. OS 9 may have had a lot bad about it, but it had a lot of good to. There are times I miss it, but not for long as I think we gained a lot more then we lost.

My two cents.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.