Cube Speakers-Deteriorating Rubber

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Feb 12, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have a set of cube speakers where the rubber surrounding the cone is badly deteriorating.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I'm wondering if-in an extreme case-the Apple Pro speakers are electrically compatible and could be attached to the amplifier in place of the original speakers.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have a few options. Have the current ones reconed. The next is repair them yourself by putting a small amount of rubber cement over the cone. The last and possibly best option is to remove the speakers from the orbs and switch them with the white iMac Pro Speakers.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That's actually what I've been considering most seriously...I was just mostly making sure that I wouldn't fry the amplifier with the wrong impedence speaker or something like that.

A lot of the Cube speakers seem to have deteriorated rubber, but I seem to never see them on the white speakers. Did Apple change the rubber to something more robust?

I also find it interesting that only one of mine(in the set of two) is deteriorating, and the other is fine.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The white iMac spears are rubber. The black Cube and PowerMac speakers are a foam material.

5. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I've reconed speakers before, and it really isn't as hard as you think. They sell foam kits on ebay fairly reasonably. I thought my old center speaker was a goner, but with the new foam surround, it works flawlessly again.