Cuebox : The Real 3D Pool [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by dkorczakk, Nov 11, 2013.

1. dkorczakk, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

dkorczakk macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I’d like to present a mobile game im working on:

Cuebox: The Real 3D Pool

It’s a billiards game in three dimensions without gravity. The balls are floating inside a box instead of a flat table. I’d be glad for some feedback.

Cuebox is now available on the App Store
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/cuebox-3d-pool/id735918826?mt=8

Gameplay Trailer:

GAME FEATURES:

* Billiards without gravity in 3D.
    * Play with friends in Pass and Play mode.
    * Single player option with 3 AI difficulty levels.
    * Classic 8-Ball and 9-Ball rules, just extended by extra dimension.
    * 6 tables with different shapes, sizes and location of the pockets.
    * Customize game looks selecting table themes and balls style.
    * Simple controls resembling typical pool games.

More screenshots and info can be found on the Facebook Page : https://facebook.com/cuebox3d

Here are some screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The game will be released for all iOS devices followed by a version for mac. Screenshots are from mobile version.

2. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

I have some themes prepared but i won’t be able to put all of them in the game (at least not in the first version). Can you give me some feedback on them ?

Classic:
    [​IMG]
    Noble:
    [​IMG]
    Blue:
    [​IMG]
    Concrete:
    [​IMG]
    Minimalism:
    [​IMG]
    Hot Chilli:
    [​IMG]

3. StuartL macrumors member

Interesting concept and the sort of game I'd play. Of the themes you've shown above I'd use the classic one.

4. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i will keep the classic one for sure , it's the color of billiards ;) The red one will stay as well along with 1-2 more. The rest will need some improvements but they will be added in future updates.

I've created a Facebook Page where more screenshots can be found :

https://facebook.com/cuebox3d

5. psyadav macrumors newbie

Interesting Game and I would like to play this game. Are working on educational apps also?

6. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a gameplay trailer :

psydav: I'm not making them right now but i have some planned for the future ;)

7. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

I’ve just found a prototype i’ve made probabyly around March : it’s kinda funny :p Pockets are my favourites ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's an image showing the progress after 8 months of making the game . If you look closely you can notice some small improvements ;)

[​IMG]

9. kalt macrumors regular

That looks really cool. Without a 'down' how do you add spin on the cue-ball? I guess it could work the same way spin works on a tennis ball or ping pong ball.

I hope you keep it straight 3D billiards and don't feel the need to add spaceships and lasers and floating monsters and whatnot. That's always been the bane of all pool games that try to use a unique playing field. 3D isn't exciting enough, gotta add flying pink lizzards that attack the cue ball....blah.

Whatever you do, please don't make it crippleware that requires "in app purchases" to function. I'm so sick of everything in the App Store being/being turned into IAP crippleware i'm on the verge of boycotting the whole damn thing. Whenever I see an app says "in app purchases available" I immediately close the window and look at something else. I won't consider buying, even for free, an app with IAPs.

Good luck with it!

10. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't worry, the game won't be overcomplicated;) just billiards - classic rules but extended by one direction. There won't be a spin , at least at the beginning , with the weight of the pool ball, the spin effect would be minimal.

There won't be any In-App Purchases in the game.

11. kalt macrumors regular

Nice to hear re: the lack of IAPs.

You should have some way to add minimal spin to the cue ball. I'm not talking about for neat lil' trick shots (massee etc) but, at minimum, at least to be able to have backspin to bring the cue ball backwards or topspin to have the cue ball follow forwards. That's pretty important for a pool game. Side spin is less important. I realize there's no table on which to get the friction, but there's no gravity either... it's virtual.

12. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i thought about the spin many times. I will add it later , but could only change trajectory to the side (like it works on a pink pong) . I realise the importance of the top/backspin - but they simply cannot exist in this game ( at least not together). Just imagine - hitting the cue ball on top and on the bottom will have exactly the same impact on the forward/backward forces "in the air" and during collisions.

13. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Cuebox will be released tomorrow ( November 28th) on the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
    Android version will be available on friday - November 29th

I have a new website for this game - just finished it before the release : http://cuebox3d.com

14. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie

15. dkorczakk thread starter macrumors newbie