CUPS and "root" password

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Theoceanpisces, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Theoceanpisces macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone here can give me some help with my printer problems. I have an HP Color LaserJet 1600 at work that doesn't support mac computers. Unfortunately the possibility of a problem didn't even cross our minds. I am surprised that at this day and age printers are not made to work with all OS.
    Anyway, I'm using CUPS to be able to print (don't really understand what it is or how it works, just followed some instructions on what to install and do), but it only works in black & white.
    I went here http://localhost:631/ to be able to switch to color but was asked my username and password. "If you are asked for a username and password, enter your login username and password or the "root" username and password."
    Well, my username and password didn't work and I don't know what root username and password are!:mad: how frustrating?
    Any ideas?
    I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro.
    Thanks!

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you are the only user of your machine, then you should have an Administrative account on it. This is the same account that you use to authenticate the installation of new software. Use the short name and password for your Administrative account.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Which username and password you use has changed in different OS X versions. Read the Frequently Asked Questions section here:
    http://www.cups.org/

5. siddharthseth macrumors newbie

Well, it is a bit outdated now, I'm guessing. But I just stumbled upon this thread and wanted to share a very convenient tweak to the entire situation (for the benefit of amateur users stumbling across this thread in search of a simple solution).

1) Go to System Preferences>Accounts
    (Unlock the "click the lock to make changes")

2) Press Control+click on your account and select "Advanced Options"

3) In your account name, just change the first letter to lower-case. For eg. if your name is 'Albert Einstein', your default account name would be 'Alberteinstein'. Just change 'Alberteinstein' to 'alberteinstein'.

That is it. You can now successfully log in to CUPS using your lowercase account name and your chosen password.