Curb side find - or piece of trash

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Came across this beauty today as I was driving to work. It's presently -4C here and it was covered in frost. I'm really hoping it's functional. Any guesses whether I'll be heading to the electronics recycler this week?

Also any tips on how long I should wait to use it [​IMG]or what I should do to ensure it doesn't cause any damage if I plug it in?

2. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Well, in my experience i would let it sit at home, in room temperature for at least a day or two. You cant have any moisture in it. If its possible i would even open up one of the side to ensure it comes back. The CRT itself should power on given its just cold, but the circuitry could blow some caps if their wet. Years ago when i was looking for parts i grabbed a old HP Pentium 4 machine that was in one of two bins. There was a wroking and non working bin. The machine was in the working. It was really cold and had some frost. I brought it home waited a day and plugged it in. Immediately the PSU blew a cap, and when i opened it to inspect it, it was still a little wet inside. Thankfully the board survived. So patience is key.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

More than a day or two, probably a week to be safe.

4. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Well against my better judgement I tried it...

[​IMG]

Works!

5. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Woah, nice find!

6. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

I knew you wouldnt be able to resist haha. I learned that the hard way with the PSU from that HP years back. But im glad it works. Those screens are truly beautiful to look at and use.

7. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yep, I'm weak when it comes to fun toys!

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Great find! I love these monitors.

My 17" Graphite sits right next to a Yikes!

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

My 17" Graphite sits right next to a Sawtooth, which sits right next to another Sawtooth, which sits right next to a 21" Graphite :)

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have the 21" plugged into a retail Radeon 8500(rare card) in one of my Sawtooths(Sawteeth?) :)

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

And the denizens around the PowerPC forums here question MY electric bill each month! ;) :D

12. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

And I Have a Radeon X850XT mac edition Card plugged into my 2.7Ghz G5 with a matching 23 inch acrylic cinema display :D

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

And I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and a Radeon 9200 and a Radeon 7000…plugged into my 1.8Ghz dual QS with a 20" Cinema Display, two 17" Studio Displays, two 18" Gateway monitors and a 20" HDTV. :D :D

14. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Sawteeth should be a thing lol

15. bunnspecial, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

For a little while, I had a pair of 23" Aluminum displays plugged into my Quad with the X1950, although those two displays are now connected to my Mac Pro(8800GT 1gb, 2.6ghz 8 cores, 16gb RAM)

BTW, @eyoungren , if I can ever get my Mac II going I want to set it up with 6 monitors. I have enough NuBus cards to do it, and Apple supported it(with extended desktop) all the way back to System 2.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That sounds very ambitious!

Having been in design school in the mid 90s I had an instructor who had a Mac II. It was his pride and joy and for the first time made me notice Macs.

But those connectors at the time! Not VGA even. So, it's either going to require 6 monitors of that era or 6 adapters.

That however, will be one mind-blowing setup. Just it being possible and considering how much that would have cost back then!

I know that brand new, my Mac IIci was around $9,000 or so!

17. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

At the moment, I have exactly 6 working Apple CRTs with the DB-15 connector, so can just make it work.

I do have a bunch of the adapters, but want to at least make it as era-appropriate as I can.

I have two of the standard Mac II video cards, two "Apple high resolution resolution video cards" and two Radius 24x series cards. All of those cards are capable of outputting 640x480 but differ in their color depth. I think the standard II card can only do 4 bit color, while the Radius cards can do 24 bit. Naturally, they'll get paired with the best monitors.

And, the set-up is only going to be temporary since I'll have to borrow cards from several computers to get it there! Granted, my Quadras and IIci don't need cards, but I do like having the ability to run better than the on-board video on them. If I dig, I should have enough VRAM SIMMs to max out one Quadra...

I understand the Mac II being your professor's pride and joy. They were not inexpensive systems at the time, and were pretty darn fast too(especially compared to the SE that came out at the same time).

I'm on the hunt now for a IIfx...

18. Themoth macrumors member

Themoth

Can this machine still keep up with today's demands?

19. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Not sure what you're asking about.

The monitor shown here is just that-a monitor. It works(more or less) the same whether you plug it into a Mac II or a trash can Mac Pro.

@Ih8reno shows it plugged into a Mac Pro of some sort or another running El Capitan. I don't know what generation MP it is, but can tell you that I use a 1,1(actually sort of kind of a 2,1) daily as my work computer and it's more than capable of doing anything I throw at it, or really that I'd guess 90% of Mac users would do. You wouldn't know it was nearing 10 years old if I didn't tell you.

I've also plugged my nearly identical Blueberry CRT into the 2012 MBP I'm using now, a computer that's as fast as capable as anything I'd conceivably have a need for.

That aside, many of us on here do what we can to keep even older Macs running and still relevant.

20. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yep, tried it on my Mac Pro 1,1 running El Capitan, you sir are correct!

21. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I have to wonder if maybe the poster has this monitor confused with an older iMac or maybe an eMac?

22. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Last winter I brought a gateway Pentium 4 tower in from the shed outside (10*F or so), waited 45 minutes and turned it on. The Power Supply blew a flame out the back and needless to say that computer was toast. I've learned my lesson to leave them sitting next to the stove for a while before I try to turn them on!

23. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Are you aware, that you cannot connect an older iMac (i.e. G3) to an intel MacPro 1,1 as a monitor ... ;)

24. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

actually the iMac Tray loader had the CRT connected to the mobo via an internal DB15 connector nothing stops you disconnecting that from the logic board connecting it to a Mac pro turning on the iMac then then the mac pro and use the iMac G3 as a Monitor :)

25. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

He's talking about the guy that asked it "This machine could keep up with today's standards" so he's saying that the person who posted that may have mistaken the monitor for an iMac G3 or an eMac since they look similar. Personally I think the guy is just trying to get posts, as clearly he doesn't own a single thing he claims to own