Curing Noisy Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aliennerd, Sep 17, 2010.

1. aliennerd macrumors member

My Mac Pro had become increasingly noisy recently, it had really become quite irritating.

I had a look around on line but couldn't really find a solution so I decided to take the machine apart and have a look and soon discovered the problem, dust and lots of it. The ATI Radeon card could hardly breathe.

I took some pictures, not for the squeamish but if anyone else has a similar problem it may be worth a look.

http://aliennerd.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/noisy-mac-pro-fans/

Charlie

2. ventro macrumors 6502a

Glad I installed a dust filter in my Mac pro the week I got it. Almost zero dust on the inside after nearly 2 years of continuous operation.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

Is this an ATI X1900 XT? Apart from being know to be a major dust catcher, this one is already loud itself. Here you have your major culprit. Replace it with a newer GPU. The 4800HD, for example, whispers nicely along.
    Additional, yet costly, options are SSDs for your most accessed drives (i.e. OSX). And, of course dust catchers are always a good idea..

4. aliennerd thread starter macrumors member

I have to say the machine is whisper quiet now that I've cleaned it. I might upgrade the graphics card but then I rarely stress it (apart from leaving it clogged with dust.) Interesting that you say the X1900 are known dust catchers.

With regards to dust filters what do you use?

Charlie