Curiosity Discussion: Unannounced changes in iPhones over the years

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by QuietFun, Oct 9, 2016.

1. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

I was thinking about it the other day. Many people "wait a little while until the bugs are worked out" basically meaning when they fix whatever might be wrong with any given product during its initial release. I would be interested to know what changes are/have been made to iPhones over the years without public knowledge. For instance, I had a Lifeproof case when hey first came out for the 6. It eventually broke and they sent me a new one (within 3 months of initial purchase) and there were several SMALL changes to it even though these were never really acknowledged. Is there anyone or place that has any evidence of this in iPhones? .. like the 7s being manufactured right now being different than the original?

(this is more of a curious discussion to see if anyone might have noticed or come across anything like this over the years.)

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple openly acknowledges that they make small tweaks to the phones during their lifetime, to catch early production flaws.

3. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

I figure so. I'd like to know what they are. So neat to me for some reason.

4. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Can't really remember an instance where they have changed anything. Not that I know of anyway. Don't think apple as said anything either. What comes to mind though is the repositioning of the antenna bands on the 4s compared to the 4 which had antenna problems. But that's a new device, not really what you are asking but that's all I got. Also the 7000 series aluminum on the 6s compared to 6000 series on the 6. This helped with the bend issue.

And if I remember correctly. I don't think there was a oleophobic coating on the first iPhone. So it always got really greasy. Where as on the 3G it had.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They updated the screen with the 6s. Some displays caused the halo effect when it came to glass screen protectors. After 2-3 months the issue vanished from the 6s. So they must have updated the screen. Additionally, wasn't it the 3GS that got the coating for the first time? I had a 3G and 99% sure it didn't have the coating.

Edit: Yep 3GS.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/10/apples_iphone_3g_s_sports_600mhz_chip_oleophobic_coating

6. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Ok, cool. I never had the 3G. Went from 2g to 3GS. Memory...