Curiosity on US interest for Apple Micro USB to Lightning Adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by EnJaNir, Oct 5, 2012.

1. EnJaNir macrumors member

Let me start off by stating I don't meet the current forum requirements to access the Marketplace so this is currently a feeler for interest.

I have an opportunity to get a handful of authentic Apple micro usb to lightning adapters and I am curious if there is any/enough interest to try to make them available for forum members stateside.

The biggest issue I feel would be if users would be willing to play extra for them given exchange rates, getting them here, etc etc.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

3. EnJaNir thread starter macrumors member

4. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

oh wow I did not know those existed.

so I could get those and then a female 30 pin to USB adapter and I wonder if it would function the same as the lightning to 30 pin cable?

----------

oh wait it's MICRO usb?

That's not very helpful

5. EnJaNir thread starter macrumors member

Purpose of this is so that you can use what most people already have around a micro usb cable.

6. solo118 macrumors 65816

7. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I don't own a single micro USB cable so it would be sorta useless for me

8. Raegor macrumors member

Depends on price...

----------

You could get a micro USB cable for $2 shipped...

Most portable non Apple devices use them nowadays.

9. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

will it transmit all data, power and support all functions of the lighting port. Also why oh why would I want that. I am just exposing the iphone to a adapter that can get damaged or snagged. I will give you 25% of what apple is selling them at and would prefer if you snag some 30 pin adapters or cheap lighting cables that are genuine and below $15.99 each

10. EnJaNir thread starter macrumors member

As previously stated it would allow for sync and charge over microusb.

And I wouldn't do this for a loss, just doesn't make sense.

I was merely trying to help anyone stateside who perhaps wanted one of these adapters and did not have resources to obtain one.

11. tasset macrumors 6502a

Yes I am very VERY interested, have been asking a couple overseas friends if they can get a hold of a few for me. A bit of trouble bothering them though.

As someone pointed out, it does depend on price. Apple is charging about $25 (us converted from pounds). There are some on Ebay but of course people are gouging buyers for double the price.

12. Topher227 macrumors regular

Very interested.

I have countless MicroUSB cables/AC adapters laying around my house...

13. tasset macrumors 6502a

Here's the thing OP. For some reason Apple doesn't offer these in the US so you will have some demand to sell.
    However, people already feel they are being ripped by Apple for the $20 lightning cables and $30 lightning-30pin adapters. You can make 'some' profit and cover your shipping + cost of the adapter buying in the EU. But I would not expect more than a few dollars profit each, otherwise people will be even more turned off and just stick with the standard cable.

14. GiRARDsays macrumors member

15. EnJaNir thread starter macrumors member

I agree 110%.

By no means would I try to be greedy, a quick ebay search yielded a shocking result of people wanting $55 shipped for these. I can tell you they certainly wouldn't be that much but I would have to cover expenses to get them here as well as paypal fees, shipping, then my time.

I'm a normal end user just like everyone else. Just trying to help out the community since I have an opportunity to.

16. Crwmlw macrumors regular

Crwmlw

Im In also

count me in too please. I will take a few

17. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Depending on the price, I might be interested.

18. tasset macrumors 6502a

That's good to hear and very admirable if you're able to help out some folks this side of the world to get those adapters! PM me or reply to this thread, I am in for some units if you decide to go through. Also, I don't know how you plan to sell units. But I have an eBay account with perfect feedback if you need a US seller to move these at a reasonable rate I could help. I wouldn't accept a nickel of profit (though of course eBay and Paypal get their 10% cut).

19. EnJaNir thread starter macrumors member

Different forums and members have helped me out in the past so I try to help when I can...

Regarding selling them, my current plan was to simply create a classified thread (once my post count gets high enough) and sell them that way (I have positive iTrader ratings on several automotive forums). This way there isn't a middle man so to speak so any savings can be passed along. I really appreciate the offer though. Perhaps we can touch base via PM for more suggestions/details.

20. tasset macrumors 6502a

Ah, ok. Was not sure if you're actually abroad or here in the US. Yes the less hands involved the less costs to be added.
    Appreciated again- let the community know if/when you have some to sell.