Curious 5300 gpu versus 5500 gpu MBP 16 in.

Heartex

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Texas
I have MBP 16 2.6 32gb 5300 gpu 1 Tb . I have VM with parallels. I don’t do any rendering or video editing. Have several complex programs with graphics and info on my VM. Would I see any different in the 5300 versus 5500 gpu? Would the discrete gpu even kick in? I have lots of tabs open on VM and safari. Trying to learn when I order MBP (years from now) do I need increase gpu or the base good enough?

thomas130

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
Since you have already got your laptop probably no use worrying about it now, as long as you can perform your tasks that's all that matters. There is no point worrying about future hardware choices, as nobody will have a clue what the future holds especially if Apple switch to their own Cpus.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If you're happy with the performance of what you have then you don't need a faster GPU. I can't answer for sure if dGPU is kicking in with parallals but I would assume it would. I'd also so the overhead of running virtual machines is high enough that there's other performance penalties and the GPU difference may not matter as much in that use case.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Heartex

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Texas
I guess more than anything I am just trying to learn. I have this one program that is so terrible on scrolling and kept thinking it is the dGPU. But today they are giving me an update so that it will start working smoother. I did uncheck automatic graphic switching since I have my MBP plugged in most of the time and can switch back it I unplug it. I could tell a difference on the quicker and smoother transitions. I don't like slow especially in a computer and when you spent this kind of money I want quick. Thanks for any information.

Arizor

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2012
The VM will always lag, at least slightly, that's the nature of it right? Is there no way you can boot natively into that OS and do the work you need to do? Especially for graphics heavy stuff running it natively really helps performance (just look at running a game in bootcamp vs parallels).

Heartex

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Texas
That is a good idea. If my meeting Thursday and upgrading the program itself does not met my expectations then that would be my next step. Thanks for the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.