Curious about a SL feature

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cvstos, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Cvstos macrumors member

I have a 5-year-old PowerBook G4 that, with a little bit of luck, will be replaced with a MacBook Pro in August. I'm also taking a course in Japanese in the fall.

I noticed that the WWDC Keynote mentioned enhanced Chinese character support by using the trackpad for input in Snow Leopard. Does anyone know if this would cover Japanese Kanji as well? I hear the character set has a lot of overlap.

(I currently don't know a whole heck of a lot about the language, in case you can't tell. But once I'm in the class I'll likely pick it up OK with a decent amount of work. I do pretty well in French, so I have practice learning a foreign language, and the two are different enough that I won't confuse them.)

Thanks!

2. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I suppose it should work, though we'd need someone with the Developer preview to try it. Meanwhile,

[​IMG]

3. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

I have no idea on SL, though I don't see why it wouldn't (and if it doesn't I'm sure someone out there will write an app for it, there are a lot of Japanese Mac users around). When you're starting out though the standard JP Kotoeri text input in OSX should be plenty to keep you busy. I use it for all of my Japanese letter writing and have added my own extra dictionaries; it's great.