Curious about how drag and drop works

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmack549, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Just got a new MBP and I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but one thing I was having trouble with is dragging and dropping documents on the new trackpad. Can someone please explain to me how this works?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Click to select a document, hold the button down, drag it to where you want it, and release the button.

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Well you click an object and (without letting go of your click) you drag the object to your intended destination and then release your click.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I guess I'll humor you if you are.

4. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

No I get this, what I was having difficulty with was I would run out of trackpad real estate. On my old laptops with buttons I could stop moving but keep the button depressed, lift my finger up and move it again until I got to where I was going. I can't move my finger back without unclicking this trackpad.

5. simsaladimbamba

[​IMG]

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Oh!

Man I forget the name of the setting but it's there, trust me. Just try them all, you'll find it.

7. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well dang, I didn't see this the first time I rifled through the options. I'll check it out again when I get home, thanks. That screenshot doesn't really show how it works but I'm sure the video clip will.

8. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

On my '08 MacBook (and '11 MacBook Pro) it delays the release of the mouse button when tap-to-click is enabled.

I can just double tap+hold to click and hold onto something;
    drag it over;
    lift up my finger and reposition it quickly and it won't release the mouse button;
    keep dragging from the new point as if nothing happened.

But I believe this works only when not physically clicking on the trackpad. Just when tap-to-click is on.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think you over think the problem.
    I don't know if you people really do it as you say. I mostly just use it as if there was a button.
    You get to your file with the index finger. Press with the thumb down on the bottom of the pad where there is the least resistance. Than move around with the index finger while just keeping the thumb down.
    I think actually moving the finger that is pressing down is just unnecessary friction. You also don't have to press down everywhere on the pad when at the top half it really takes quite some effort.

You can use it like every other touch pad with a button at the bottom and two fingers on it at the same time. It is smart enough to get what you want that even works with the Windows drivers which are otherwise rather stupid.