Curious about lack of dock connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trepex, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Has Apple ever said why they don't put a dock connector on the MBP? Is it just to avoid adding any extra hardware that might take more space or something?

I know there are various dock connectors that plug into ever input but that's not really a true docking station solution...

2. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Like, for a boat?

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

You could ask the same question about any laptop manufacture; but for the MBP here is a few 3rd party docking stations available.

I personally don't see the need for a docking station - I've now just made my external hard drives wireless, I have a wireless mouse and bluetooth connectivity to my phone.

That leaves 2 things connected to my MBP - the power adapter and the optical out connector I use for my home cinema.

Since everything can go wireless; docking stations aren't as much use as they were.

4. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I think it would be great if they offered a dock. :eek:

5. Trepex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trepex

How about my monitor... I didn't ask if YOU needed one. Many professional laptop vendors include docking connectors, hence my question. Thanks.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I replied with my personal opinion - I'll make sure I don't do that again in your topics.

7. Loumeer macrumors newbie

Sorry I just had to create an account to say "ZING".:p

8. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

9. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Me too. I have one now for my Dell laptop and I love it.

10. Trepex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Haha, come on Kilamite, no hard feelings. I was just trying to point out that it's not a silly question to ask whether or not Apple had ever addressed it. Lots of people would enjoy the convenience of dropping the MBP onto a docking station.

I've seen a few 'docking options' as I mentioned, but they all make individual port connections which I don't especially love.

11. Jasoco macrumors 6502

I could use a Dock for my MacBook actually. Right now sitting at my desk I have my 20" ACD, FireWire HD, USB HD and USB Keyboard all hooked up as well as my speakers. Which means if I want to take my MacBook I have to disconnect all my devices.

I would like a simple pass-through type Dock for my white 13" MacBook that matches my MacBook asthetically. Does anyone make one? (I looked on that link and they are ugly. The few that they have for 13" MB's that is. It would just be pass-through. No converters. I don't need to hook a VGA monitor up so no weird DVI to VGA connection. If at all, it could convert the Mini DVI to DVI but I have a converter for that so really, all I want is pass-through. It would only be for convenience really.

12. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I hear ya. A docking station would be nice (and I don't mean those clunky looking Bookendz).