Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eUnique

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2011
So I have read a lot about how much better the AMD Radeon HD 6750 is than the GPU in the 13" and base 15" MBP. I really like the portability of the 13" but want the better GPU so is it possible to install the AMD Radeon HD 6750 in my 2011 i7 13" MBP?

Thanks

eUnique

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Seems odd that you could buy it seperate online than, but bummer.

eUnique

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Why is that odd? If Apple slotted the chips in their mobile computers you could physically switch it, but they don't- the chips are soldered in. Other manufacturers slot their chips.

It's odd that you can buy something you can't install or use. Am I missing something? :confused:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
The GPU on the 13" is physically on the same die as the CPU. No way to "replace" it.

No room on the 13" logic board for an additional GPU chip such as the ATI either. Hence why only the 15" has the option of a discrete GPU, which again is not user upgradeable.

eUnique

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2011
You can buy all sorts of things you can't install or use. I have a BMW, but I can buy a CV joint for a Porsche. OMG... I can't use it!!

Wow.... you fail at logic or seek to "win" petty things in life way too much.

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
To be fair, you could hypothetically replace the GPU on a MBP if you replace the CPU and Logic Board along with it. But that would be way way expensive and I don't know if it would even work.

If you really REALLY want to get a better GPU, sell your MBP for $1200-$1400 and buy a 15 inch. Both models of the 15 inch have the newer GPU. It actually is fairly portable. I have a 2011 13 inch and my girlfriend has a 2010 15 inch.

Chaelmc

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
I think what miles is trying to say is, just because it doesn't fit a MBP doesn't mean it wont fit other computers/etc that people might want to fit it to.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
It's odd that you can buy something you can't install or use. Am I missing something? :confused:

You can buy many different kinds of memory, but that doesn't mean you can install any particular one in any particular computer. You can still buy DDR2 RAM, but since the curent MBPs use DDR3, the DDR2 chips are useless for a current MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.