Curious about the ION Carbon Shell for 15" MacBook Pro (2009)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JuiceX, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JuiceX macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    Just curios about the ION-Factory Carbon shell. I have seen the ads all over MacRumors.
    Has anybody actually seen/used this case for the MB/MBPs? Would there be any issues with using on the June 2009 revision of the 15" MBP?

Any thoughts?

Also, does it come with a lower casng for the bottom of the MBP? Pictures on the website do not show.

2. zsnow macrumors regular

i don't know about this product but
    i'll not consider any protection which affect the heating

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I don't know if anyone has them here. They look really nice, especially the MBA cases.

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Wow just saw this. Does the Apple logo actually shine through?

5. friareunuch macrumors member

looks pretty sweet. seems like the logo does shine though.

two things i find interesting:

1.) it's not carbon fiber

2.) no mesh in the back where the primary heat sink is

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Is there any place I can really find close up pics of the case in action? I currently have a Macally BookShell2 Pro, but I can't see the Apple shining through:p

7. lag1090 macrumors 6502

I have seen that before, but I wouldn't buy it for two reasons:

1. They have a seven day return policy

2. It's $100 for a case.

8. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I saw a review on YouTube for the carbon fiber iphone 3g shell. Since the website does not reveal and pictures to support their claims of integrity and reliability, I had to use alternate sources for my research on this subject. However, the iphone case, in the review, shows a microfiber-like fabric lining the inside, to protect against scratches. Does this also come on the macbook pro 15" case? I emailed the company, unfortunately they havent returned my reply. Unlike all of those other cases, speck, incase, and the like, they all have thier plastic innards in constant contact with unibody aluminum. This is concerning for me, because they do prevent against large hazards, nevertheless, they themselves cause minute scratching!

Hopefully someone else can can get farther in researching the inside of this elusive carbon fiber macbook pro shell, offered of-course from ION Factory.

9. elypcool macrumors member

any new input on this? I'm really looking forward on buying this shell but I cant find any feedback from costumers, worried about heating issues

10. Dee908 macrumors newbie

just read a review about this, hope it helps

http://modmyi.com/reviews/ion-carbon-shell/

11. Norton74 macrumors newbie

Norton74

Very cool looking case! I think I might pick one up after awhile. I just hope it doesn't hold the heat in too much and cause overheating problems.

Has anyone here bought it yet? Please check your temps with/without it on and let us know.

12. starbai macrumors member

starbai

bump... anyone have any more experience with this?

My Speck clear case is starting to look like crap and I think i'm ready for a change. a Carbon Fiber case is something i've been looking for forever... cost kinda sucks but if it doesn't affect heating too much it maybe worth it.

13. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

I hope you realize that neither polyurethane nor polycarbonate are "carbon fiber." This case is an over-priced piece of plastic with a carbon fiber design on the exterior.