Curious: Does anybody actually pay for CBS?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ajiuo, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Apparently CBS thinks that their content alone is worth almost as much as the other 3 networks combined on Hulu... Not to mention WB, Comedy Central and everything else on Hulu... Just curious what everyone else thinks of this?

2. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Leslie Moonves has always been an ******. He lives in the past. I think he thinks it's stil 1975.

3. DesertDog macrumors member

In the summer I do for the Big Brother 24/7 live feed, but outside of that 3 month period I wouldn't. I never used the non-BB content when I had it.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I Really want Colbert, but nope.

Airplay most recent 5 from mobile app. :/ :grumble:

5. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

I am still in the free trial period, and on the fence as to whether I want to pay $5.99/mo.. But, Last night, it was nice to watch Amazing Race and Hawaii Five-0.. LIVE & in HD on my new Apple TV... And with no cable subscription!

6. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah, I laughed when I saw what they wanted per month for this. Who are they kidding. I think I watch three shows on CBS and since they blackout football.... Well... LOL

7. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

They are only doing live TV for some markets correct? They seem to hide that fact in most of their adds. I think the price may be worth it for live content, but not just their catalog and day old items.

8. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

Yes.. I believe that is the case. I live in CT, so my TV "Market" is Hartford. I would imagine if Hartford is good to go for it, most other American Cities would be. Not like Hartford is a "Top-Tier" Market, or anything.

Not sure if it worked this way in ATV3 (since the ap is so new), but on my new ATV4 the ap automatically figured out what "Market" I am in. Pretty cool.. At 2000 last night we just opened the ap and selected Live TV, and it automatically streamed live broadcast from the Hartford station.

9. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

So if the other 3 networks thought they were worth the same, even for live tv. You would be paying $24 a month just to get the big 4 broadcast networks. That actually makes cable tv look like a bargain.

I think if this model is going to work it's going to be maybe $1-2 a month for a single channel. Companies who have multiple channels could probably do $3-5 for a bundle of their channels. Premium networks like HBO, showtime, Netflix can get away with more.... I still think the apples rumored bundle thing might be the best bet at this point.

For me.. I just have HBO, Hulu, Netflix. Anything I can't get from there I just buy a season pass for on iTunes. The only thing I really miss about cable is like hgtv, The discovery channels stuff like that.

My apartment actually comes with free DirecTV. I don't even have it hooked up because I can't stand the interface... The cool thing is that I can link it to apps.... It will be cold to see if more become available on the Apple TV 4.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'll give the free trial a go and see how it works. I watch survivor, big brother, and college football so that alone could make it worth the price. I currently pay for HBO and showtime, and use a friends login for ESPN/NBC.

11. Gueeds macrumors member

I'm thinking just to catch up on the previous seasons of Survivor, Big Brother, and Amazing Race which aren't available streaming anywhere legally outside the current seasons.

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I sure hope this isn't the future of unbundled cable - $6 a month per channel is way too much. Might as well stick with cable for that money.

13. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I was surprised they don't do like the other networks and at least ask you to put your credentials in for the satellite or cable provider to get programming that way.

14. mattopotamus, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is really the most shocking thing. Granted, the others cannot be purchased as a stand alone service, but you would think if you have a cable subscription you could authenticate.

Also, it provides live TV unlike abc, nbc, and fox. NBC has the sports app which is live though.

15. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Nope. I have an antenna for CBS football and don't really watch any of the shows.

16. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I am testing it. Of course I prefer no commercials at that price. But you have to look at your entire package. Hulu with no commercials is a great deal for me. My goal is to only use my Apple TV and no commercials or limited at least. I am willing to pay more for a better experience. My DVR's/STB's cost $67 per month just for the hardware. I look at that number to determine what I am will to pay. Also, TIVO has App on Fire TV where you can skip comnercials. If they come out with App and I can have only 1 with cable card, cost and their monthly fee would be roughly $20 a month plus cost of hardware. So when looking st $6 a month for CBS and I watch a lot of CBS it could be worth it.

17. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

More. I think Hulu made a smart decision to go with a no commercial tier. I predict their number of subscribers will grow and many will switch. Most that I know have switched to no commercials. I no multiple people that would sign up for CBS if they ha no commercials and also show NFL

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is really one of the biggest benefits. It offers live college football and NFL without having a cable subscription. Is there any other way to "legally" get NFL games? (outside of if you qualify for sunday ticket stand alone service).

19. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My address qualified for it for some strange reason. Live in a community that allows it. Anyway my son used my address to get but because of blackouts he feels maybe bad idea. I think the NFL App on Apple TV is pretty cool but you can not watch until the game is over. Cost $99 per year and you watch all games and they have a fast mode and condensed mode. But my son feels it is not worth it if not live. I am not a fan so I don't really care.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

that is how I feel. If it is not live, I do not feel like paying for it (sports only). I wish I qualified for sunday ticket only, but where I live I get direcTV. I really wish redzone was a stand alone service.

21. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

We don't have cable and it is the only one of the major 4 networks not on Hulu so, I don't mind paying for the CBS access. We have an antenna but no DVR and we rarely have a chance to watch shows live. We feel it is worth just to be able to watch shows on our own schedule. Now, we will probably cancel during the summer when most shows are doing reruns.

22. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I did the free trial of the CBS app and actually liked it especially some of the older shows they had to offer like Perry Mason and Mission: Impossible. They also have a decent library of current shows as well. I pay for commercial free Hulu, Netflix, and CBS All Access totaling $27 a month...far better than a $100 plus cable bill.

23. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

I'm still in the free trial, but there's no way I'm paying for it when that's over. I won't pay a monthly fee for a channel that's free OTA and have to watch commercials. I understand ads during live tv but during the on demand stuff is insane. And they can't even get the live broadcast right. My local station is available if I log in on my Mac, but the Apple TV app will only let me watch a station out of Kansas. I live in New York. I've been going back and forth with support since the day this app was available and they stopped responding after their first few canned replies did nothing to resolve the issue.

24. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I deleted the app as soon as I realized that it was pay access. No thanks, CBS. I did email them at the feedback email address (cbs-appletv-feedback@cbsinteractive.com) and got a canned response stating that my "inquiry" had been assigned a case number. Bet there's a lot of similar feedback.

25. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Even paid cable subscribers can't access this?