Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I tried to install Rosetta Stone language software and when i did the hard drive would spin up read for a second then spin down. it would then act like the power was off then spin up again for a second then spin down. it said total install time was 220 hours because it kept spinning up and shutting off.

eventually i used an external cd rom drive and installed it in 6 minutes. so im just curious if something is wrong with my cd rom. i tried to reboot and it was acting the same way.

I watched a dvd and it seemed to work ok. so im not sure why that was happening.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
sorry i meant cd / dvd drive. the macbook pro is a duel layer cd rom and when i play a duel layer dvd before it switches layers it freezes. i have to mark the dvd where it happens restart the dvd them move the position past where it freezes then it works for the second layer of the dvd. so im wondering if the duel layer portion of my mac cd / dvd rom isnt working properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.