Curious GPU finding on rMBP for iTunes Visualizer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftfwong, Jul 10, 2012.

1. ftfwong macrumors newbie

Hello!
    First time posting but thought I would share and get some insight into something I found.

Got a new rMBP 2.3/16 running 10.7 and was playing around with the iTunes visualizer. I also have gfxcardstatus installed.

One particular visualizer (apologies for lack of pictures) that involved what could only be best described as strands of DNA flying out appears to run much smoother on the integrated GPU compared to the dedicated GPU. In fact, when I switched to dGPU, the visualizer dramatically drops its framerate to a stuttering speed.

Is there a reason the iGPU outperforms the dGPU in this setting?
    Thanks in advance!

2. 01mggt macrumors 6502

My guess is the dgpu driver is still being perfected. As with all other graphics issues just give it time.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It's possible more work has gone into tuning the best performance for the HD4K considering its in the whole 2012 MacBook lineup. Don't really know though.

4. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

This may be drivers problems... Download the latest cuda for mac drivers. Also wait until Apple releases the next update for Lion. That should fix lots of problems I've seen with this GPUs.

There is no other way I could think that the iGPU will be faster than the dGPU.

5. ftfwong thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone else confirm what I found on iTunes? I am just struck at how the iGPU can outperform the dGPU.

It is only that one particular visualizer that I have an issue with as all the other ones ran absolutely smooth in either mode.

6. RustyFirestar macrumors newbie

7. 01mggt macrumors 6502

What are cuda drivers exactly? I have heard this term before. Does Nvidia basically release it's own video card drivers like on Windows?

8. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Yes. This is the link for you to download. In short description, CUDA driver is basically another type of drivers for Nvidia video cards. This will improve performance a bit. It is mainly for OpenGL applications and stuff.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html

The real graphics drivers are only distributed by Apple. So you will have to wait until next update. I'm pretty sure they'll fix it very soon.