Curious Hard Drive Problem in 10.6.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lharvest, Dec 3, 2010.

1. lharvest macrumors regular

So I updated my Mac Pro to 10.6.5 and went along my merry way doing Mac stuff. I noticed after start up I'd get a message that a disk was unmounted without ejecting and there is a risk of data loss, yadda yadda. Turns out my oldish (2007?) Western Digital My Book Essential external hard drive are unmounting themselves after about 2 minutes of being connected. I reconnected the drives (unplugged then plugged in the USB) and they unmount by themselves a few minutes later. My Mac Pro can see the drives while they are mounted, but can't access any of the files.

I move the drives over to my MacBook running 10.6.4 and the drives have no problems staying mounted and working.

I searched for updated drivers, etc. but can't find anything.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there something that can be done or do I need to remain patient and hope Apple or WD fix the problem? The data is backed up, but I'd hate to lose 1 TB worth of disk space.

I may try to reformat one in 10.6.5, but I shouldn't have to do that - and it may not work.

Any thoughts?

2. rtrt, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. lincolnsmith macrumors newbie

Hard Drives spontaneously ejecting

I am having this same problem. This began happening after I updated to 10.6.5. At first it was happening at my home with my hard drives connected through a USB Hub connected to my AirPort Extreme. I pulled them off the AirPort Extreme, and it is happening less frequently, but non the less it continues. Today it started to happen with my Drobo connected at work. The drive just self ejects.

4. evancarroll macrumors newbie

Same issue

I have the same issue with a new Western Digital My Book and 10.6.5. I formatted the disk using 10.6.5, so I suspect that won't make a difference.

5. MisterMac macrumors newbie

Same here

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with all of my external drives.
    Again, this started to happen after the 10.5.6 update.

Any news on a fix / workaround? It's very frustrating.

6. rajb245 macrumors newbie

Same issue, iMac Core i3 on 10.6.5. Particularly happens after accessing it heavily.