Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Hopefully it is ok to post this here.

Scored this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2BnpYR0BOATwRLAKGk%3D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1156

Looks like a Spring Action Husky Tripod from what I have researched but i do not know if they are any good or not. I will be using it at a local nature preserve on a observation deck. Nikon D80 and 18-155 and 70-300mm Lenses.

Anyone have any experience with these and can tell me how sturdy they are?

Thanks

Mike

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Never heard of them. From my experience, the movable parts are where to look for quality (or lack of). That one looks to be a lot of plastic with very small gears. Inexpensive, but the shipping cost is pretty out of whack.

good luck! We only use Manfrotto/ Gitzo tripods in my place. There are better and you can pay as much as you want to. But remember, it needs to keep the glass from hitting the floor.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for your response. When you say shipping cost is out of wack did you mean too low or too high?

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
good luck! We only use Manfrotto/ Gitzo tripods in my place. There are better and you can pay as much as you want to. But remember, it needs to keep the glass from hitting the floor.

+1 on Manfrotto. I just found that Amazon has the Manfrotto 055CXPro (carbon fiber, tall, 90 degree rotating centerpost) for $340 — $50 less than any place else. This is a great option if you need a light but super sturdy tripod.

(of course, it is slightly more expensive than that eBay tripod...)

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
My budget was only $ 40 for a used one that is strong and will hold her steady. Wish i could get the Manfrotto. Still need to save some cash for a Hoya Circular Polarizer Thanks for the responses :)

+1 on Manfrotto. I just found that Amazon has the Manfrotto 055CXPro (carbon fiber, tall, 90 degree rotating centerpost) for $340 — $50 less than any place else. This is a great option if you need a light but super sturdy tripod.

(of course, it is slightly more expensive than that eBay tripod...)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
if you look on craigslist, or even FredMiranda.com (buy and sell forum), you can find used tripods that would fit within your budget. I sold a Manfrotto 3001PRO (albeit it was used for 7 years) for $60. Worked perfect.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Well it came today and I wanted to say that if anyone can find this tripod for under $50 GRAB IT. Made in the USA in Northbrook IL and heavy. I underpaid for shipping. Was about 3 dollars over via USPS. Almost all metal except the knobs. Best Money I have spent in a while since my D80. Attached some pics. This thing is meant for TV cameras if I didnt know better. Action is smooth and steady. Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.