curious iPhone article in France

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shikimo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. shikimo macrumors 6502

This article appeared on the webiste of Le Figaro, a major, well-respected and right-leaning daily newspaper in France, a few days ago:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actubourse/20071026.FIG000000069_l_iphone_deja_en_france_sans_orange.html

The title says "iPhone already in France...without Orange [the official carrier]"

In sum, the article describes a business called "phoneandphone.com" that is openly selling unblocked iPhones for 379 Euros with purchase of a Bouygues Telecom contract. Run by three men and their mother, the article reports, the company spent 200,000 Euros on a publicity campaign that includes 150 public advertisements on the streets of Paris. One of the men is quoted as saying, "there is nothing illegal about this offer."

The article goes on to say that Orange, who's contract with Apple is exclusive and who is to launch the French iPhone on the 29th of November, reserves the right to do what it needs to do guarantee its exclusivity...

...but it's been 5 days since the article went up and phoneandphone.com is still peddling unblocked iPhones.

The author reports that Apple made no comment to his/her inquiry on the subject, and finishes with the observation that "such clandestine sales of the iPhone paradoxally contribute to its success," which seems to imply that it is ultimately in Apple's best interest to allow this sort of thing to go on.

I don't really have an opinion on the legality or morality of hacked iPhones, and I know there have been other operations like this, but due to its audacity and scale--not to mention the interesting implication of the last sentence--I thought it was worth sharing with the anglophone Mac community...

...and what of the very fact that this article is even published by a major paper with national circulation? Given the speed at which French legal proceedings normally operate (think land turtles on Galapagos), isn't it just another piece of (free) advertising?

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

interesting, but here in Belgium a shop called Mediamarkt is also selling iphones but on very high prices, and i'm not even sure they're unblocked, i looked on the internet but couldn't get any info, i live in antwerp in the neighbourhood of the mediamarkt were they sell the iphones, once i'm back off vacation i'm gonna take a look.

3. shikimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Now THAT would be a good scam, selling blocked iPhones for inflated prices :). Just buy them in USD--currently worth about .65 EUR--and get rich fast. What is the status of the iPhone in Belgium? Will there be an official carrier, or will it be all hacked phones? I never thought of the effects of all this on smaller countries.

4. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

th status is bad, in Belgium you're not aloud too sell a phone stuck on a provider not even when there's a other unlocked version on sell, so that's one of th reasons there might not be an iphone in belgium and, and belgium doens't really have a big population so probably apple is going to put more effort in countries in europa with a bigger population, but a known apple premium reseller in antwerp and whole belgium expects the iphones too come in May 2008. so let's wait.

5. heylenkevin macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for the iphone. Did you know they also sell it in Holland? It is an unlocked iphone but you have to buy it with a provider. Check out http://www.gsmtrack.nl/ and tell me what you think. I want an iphone but i have to wait so damn long. :(:(

6. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

there is a big chance that the iphone does come in Holland because of the selling stuff with other stuff (koppelverkoop). It's very big in the Netherlands.

7. heylenkevin macrumors newbie

I just called mediamarkt in Antwerp. No iphone. February 2008 but not sooner. Maybe never... ****!

8. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

really did you call the mediamarkt antwerp?? maybe they had it but the couldn't sell it at such a high price.

9. heylenkevin macrumors newbie

they told me they didn't have an iphone. Don't know if they're lying or not??
    I'm calling Holland tomorrow. GSM Track for an iphone. I want to know if I can buy one without a provider. I'll let you know.

10. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

let me know the results ;)

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That was an interesting article. The author's tone was like, "c'mon Apple, we dare you to do something about this!" The thing is, if Apple signs these exclusive contracts with specific carriers, than Apple is compelled to try squashing unlockers like "Davy, Johann, Warren et leur maman Annie Barthès" or risk losing those contracts. After all, no company wants to enter into an exclusive contract that isn't really exclusive. But unfortunately, as Warren Barthès said, what they're doing isn't illegal so the only recourse Apple has is to continue issuing updates like they did with 1.1.1. It will be interesting to watch this chess game unfold...

12. heylenkevin macrumors newbie

I just called GSM Track in Holland. They will not sell an iphone without linked to a provider. Not even if I give more for the phone. Damn!

Maybe in Germany next week??

13. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

maybe, that would be nice!