curious on why no leaks?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BESLC, May 31, 2012.

1. BESLC macrumors regular

First post in this thread..greetings.

I am curious why there have not been any leaks/photos of the imac? It seems there is a readily available trove of info and photos regarding Ipad, Iphone,Macbooks available before their release,but nothing on the Imac.

It would seem if there is a major upgrade coming, this info would becoming out as it has with other products.

Like most here, I have an older imac that I am considering upgrading. Mine is a 24" 2007 model, it would be nice to have some idea if the new imac will be a total redesign or a hardware upgrade.

Though I have not posted here, I do enjoy reading the threads and learning from all of you..thanks.

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

My guess is just upgrade. If there will be a design change I'm guessing it will be minor, not a complete overhaul.

A lot of people are saying that apple will thin out the iMacs but, really that makes no sense from a hardware standpoint as fitting good power into the iMac's is hard enough as is. If anything I would expect thicker with a desktop GPU but, again, that seems highly unlikely.

3. divamatt macrumors newbie

Pure speculation on my part, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say its a combination of:

- Apple tightening up on leaks (as per Cook's comments at the D conference)
    - Less consumer appetite for Imacs than other products such as macbooks, ipads and iphones, therefore less demand for rumors on such product lines
    - lack of innovative re-design, meaning it would be difficult, without having insider knowledge of the new designs, to distinguish new iMac parts from the old.

For example, the new iphone (5) sketches are easy to recognize because the form factor is different, however, no-one expected the 4S to look the way it did because it was essentially the same on the outside as the previous iphone 4.

That just what I think from reading these forums. Take what you will.

4. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Because the ghost of Steve Jobs will eat the brains of whoever blabs.

5. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Valid points. I agree

6. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

No leaks till now and... no photos or live blogging on WWDC:confused::eek:??

"May I photograph or video record keynotes or sessions?

No. Content presented at WWDC is subject to your applicable Apple Developer Program agreement(s). Taking photographs, recording video and engaging in any form of live blogging during WWDC sessions is expressly prohibited."

So no live blogging here,Engadget,9to5 etc...as we had in the past?
    Is it correct?

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Because its harder to smuggle an iMac screen out of the factory. It's not worth losing your job over.

8. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Plenty of sites have announced liveblogging for WWDC 2012. I think the restriction only applies to developers, not journalists.

9. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

I think the ban is on all but the keynote , as in live blog and images for the liveblog are ok for keynote only

10. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

there hasn´t been any imac leak in ages. even when the current design was released the first time in 2009, concrete rumors started only a day before, but never with any photo leaks, just hardware specs. probably as said here, not as easy to smuggle an imac out of the factory, nor as hyped and tempting to leak out as the iphone or ipad.

11. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

3 articles today alone so far regarding iphone

Yet we cant even get 3 articles in a week or 2 week span picturing Macs/ discussing them. No the intel ivy bridge article doesnt count. May 14 15 was the most recent...i expect late next week to pickup

----------

True. Cant smuggle imac. I miss Apples old days of only Mac and ipod

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The currently designed iMac and the unibody Mac Mini didn't have a peep or a whisper about design changes before they hit the market.

The Macbook line is a much more popular breed for Apple though and stirring the hype for these with controlled leaks perhaps makes more sense.

13. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

From WWII "Loose lips sinks ships"!

And Apple has always run a pretty tight ship!!

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

We are still at war?

That is probably the reason why MR exists. Yeah, right! ;-)

15. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Also, think about the sheer size of iPhone and iPad production compared to the Macs. They will have to make millions of units of the next iPhone just for the first weekend. e.g.; iPad 3 sold 3 million in it's first weekend. We won't see any thing like that for a £1000 (at least) computer launch. So, less people working on the production line of the mac, less people to leak information. And as previously mentioned. the logistics of sneaking out anything related to the design would be impossible, literally.

Personally believe WWDC will bring the new redesigned iMac. imho

16. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Idc wwdc or not. As long as we can purchase it in june AND have it arrive in June. None of this hold till July August bs. Which doesnt make sense

If we cant order it the 11/12th then itl be following week.+ analysts say june+ prices cut/ stock low. Were almost there. WWDC is huge. Back to school promo starts. All chips are released. Products long in the tooth. If they didnt unveil in april or may then June is it

17. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I agree, I mentioned in another thread that it appears all the planets are now in alignment for a new iMac.
    I didn't want to admit it back in March or April, but I knew it then, and I know it now, June is just too perfect, it makes sense.

18. LostSisler macrumors newbie

I believe that the next update will be huge, as in not an update at all but a NEW iMac, with features we never expected.
    Otherwise; Why would Apple wait this long?!
    This is one of the reasons for Apple to wait for WWDC; Because this new iMac will need to have programs written for it!
    On that note, I will predict the following "Crazy" New Imac;

Curved Retina 3D OLED display 27-32" (3D without glasses)
    Leap technology
    https://live.leapmotion.com/index.html
    Siri integrated
    3D Camera (& FaceTime)
    Face recognition
    Wireless charging of peripherals (keyboard, mouse, touchpad, iPhone 5, etc).

4-8 cores
    1tb HDD standard, more optional
    256gb SSD standard, more option
    USB 3
    Bluetooth 4.0
    802.11ac wireless
    Redesigned speaker system
    Redesigned stand system
    Redesigned keyboard, (thinner, backlit, wireless charge)
    Loss of "chin"
    Loss of DVD drive

New Airport Super 802.11ac

19. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Believe all you want. Your list is silly.

NO - Curved Retina 3D OLED display 27-32" (3D without glasses)
    NO - Leap technology
    https://live.leapmotion.com/index.html
    NO - Siri integrated
    NO - 3D Camera (& FaceTime)
    NO - Face recognition
    DOUBTFUL - Wireless charging of peripherals (keyboard, mouse, touchpad, iPhone 5, etc).

DID YOU EVEN LOOK AT WHAT INTEL CHIPS EXIST? 4-8 cores
    DUH - 1tb HDD standard, more optional
    PROBABLE - 256gb SSD standard, more option
    DUH - USB 3
    DUH - Bluetooth 4.0
    MAYBE - 802.11ac wireless
    MAYBE - Redesigned speaker system
    MAYBE - Redesigned stand system
    DOUBTFUL - Redesigned keyboard, (thinner, backlit, wireless charge)
    DOUBTFUL - Loss of "chin"
    MAYBE - Loss of DVD drive

MAYBE - New Airport Super 802.11ac

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm just going to point out that you're looking at a quad with 8 virtual cores at the high end. Going past that goes into Sandy Bridge E territory. Good luck getting an LGA2011 with a 130W cpu in there, especially when it requires a completely redesigned board as opposed to a much simpler Sandy to Ivy transition. You can look all you like, but no extra SKUs will magically appear:p.

21. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Additional note: The virtual cores are only useful for thread management code, like in the Mac OS X kernel. They do not improve the performance of highly optimized software like the x264 H.264 encoder, because the processor<-->RAM connection has not the required bandwidth.