Curious problems after restarting from Boot Camp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by solusoracle, Nov 19, 2009.

1. solusoracle macrumors member

I was working with a document in Microsoft Word in Boot Camp as it was an important document and I needed to ensure 100% compatibility with the recipient.

Once I had finished and saved to USB stick I restarted from Boot Camp by right clicking the Boot Camp icon in the system tray and selecting restart in OS X as usual.

Once OS X had restarted and I had entered my password as usual, notifications arrived telling me that the time and date were not set and that my late 2008 uMBP could not connect to its usual WIFI network. After reentering the WIFI password the system grabbed the correct time and date from Apples servers as usual.

When checking my email, Mail also could not remember the account passwords and I was required to enter these again too. All of the messages in my inbox were displayed as unread even though I know I had read some of these before going to boot camp.

My battery is at 96% health after 120 cycles and mains power was not interrupted during this time. I am running 10.6.2 on a 2.53GHz late 2008 uMBP with 4GB memory and 250gb 7200rpm HD.

Does anyone have any idea why these issues occurred out of the blue? It hasn't happened before or since but I don't want to be inconvenienced again.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The clock change is because Windows and OS X sync the times differently, and while you were in bootcamp, XP updated your time to the correct time, as it sees it. Then when you boot into OS X, the time is wrong until OS X can update the time. It's a pain, but normal.

3. solusoracle thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that explains this issue because I have come from Boot Camp many times before without the incorrect time and date showing, before Airport is able to connect to the server and correct it.