Curious question about Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jynto, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

So I've noticed something strange that causes my Macbook Pro to turn off temporarily. The screen and the keyboard light both go dark. It only seems to happen when I put my Galaxy S smartphone on the front-left corner. And it returns to normal a few seconds after I remove the phone. It even happens even when the phone is turned off with the battery removed. And it's only the left side (which does not have the hard drive), and it doesn't happen with my iPod Classic.

I'm not asking for tech support, as I'm sure this is an intentional safety feature. I'm just curious to find out what it is. What component is it protecting?

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

So if you permanently kept your phone off from that spot, would it never happen? If so, then thats your solution.

Very odd though.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

There are magnetic sensors in the front of the keyboard that turn off the backlights (used for when you close the lid). It just so happens that your GSII has a powerful enough magnet to trip this.

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Maybe your Apple computer doesn't like Android phones :p

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

As Dangerous Theory said, it's where the magnetic latches for the sleep sensor are placed. The computer thinks you've closed the lid if you place a magnet over that spot, and your phone has a magnet in it powerful enough (doesn't take much).

jW