curious question regarding Parallels..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rpmor, Apr 25, 2012.

1. rpmor macrumors member

Qn...how come with Parallels when i had my external (NTFS) i couldn't write to it even when in Windows (permission issues) but when i reformatted it into journal extended within Windows (Parallels) it can now write to it?

im lost as to how its working now and not before within Windows.

side qn for a flash drive (32gb) is eFAT ok as a transfer between mac and windows pc (not my Parallel's vm)

2. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I Think the reason may be because even though you were trying to write in windows, the whole windows virtual machine is running off the mac hard drive which is HFS, Although I could be wrong. The windows virtual machine is not like it is running natively on a windows computer, when it is running natively on a PC, the PC's main hard drive is NTFS.You are running this version of windows from a mac hard drive.

There are 3rd party apps that can enable mac to write to NTFS drives, one is Paragon NTFS for mac, I have this installed on my macbook pro, & it works good. I think there is another free one, but it involves some manual installation. Just Google writing to NTFS on a mac.

hope this helps.

3. rpmor thread starter macrumors member

i reformatted the hard drive i decided i couldn't be bothered with the hassle. now it works; maybe your explanation is true but being an external wouldn't it by pass the need to be able to right onto a mac partition? (which technically it can through the VM cause i shared my mac downloads folder with the VM and would move files/access them between there). So its very odd that through windows vm i can write to a mac external but not when it was a windows formated external. but thanks for your reply. i guess ill chuck this one into the mystery pile in the meantime

so now ill have my 32gb flash as a real medium between my new mac and pcs on campus and at friends etc with the exFAT format