Carrier Curious - those with Unlimited ATT plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boatboy24, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

I have a grandfathered ATT unlimited data plan and am using an iPhone 5. My wife and mother-in-law are also on this plan with "dumb phones" and we share minutes. My wife is thinking about finally making the jump to a smart phone and I'm just wondering what people experienced regarding their data plans. Were you forced onto a shared data plan or was it possible (and economically viable) to retain the unlimited data and simply add a separate phone and data plan onto it? Thanks for any input you can provide. My research on ATT's website isn't yielding much that looks desirable to me.

2. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I've always had great customer service from AT&T. I have two grandfathered plans, along with other lines and data plans on my account no problem.

3. Barbariska macrumors member

Barbariska

I've been with AT&T for ages. Started with 2 phones, both with unlimited data. Since then I have added 3 more smart phones. So we have 5 phones on family Plan, we share minutes, we have unlimited messages. 2 phones continue with unlimited data, 3 phones have individual data plans, varying by needs. For example, my mom has an Iphone but she barely uses data so I made her phone line to have 200MB, on the other hand my husband and younger daughter both have 3GB data plan. I hope I have answered your question.

4. Boatboy24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you both. That helps. I think I just need to get on the phone with them or go into a store to find the best option/pricing.

5. rlb4 macrumors member

So you have a family plan now? If so, you do not have to give up your unlimited data plan or switch to shared data. You can add other lines and they can have their own individual data plans. You have 2 choices, 300 MB for $20 or 3 GB for $30.

6. Boatboy24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rlb: That's exactly the case. Thanks again everyone!